As you like it Aloo Matar

January 25, 2016

Aloo Matar is one of those classic North Indian dishes that has a special place in every Indian’s heart and home. A potato and pea saute, it comes in  various shapes, sizes and guises, with every family having its very own recipe.

I love this dish as it’s a kitchen-ready winner: I can just grab a sack of new potatoes on my way home. My “as you like it” version of Aloo Matar gives you a chance to experiment and create your own. And if you can’t ever seem to follow a recipe to the T, then you and this Aloo Matar are Made For Each Other.

Here’s a few ideas, to get your creative juices going:

1. No asafoetida, no problem.  Just leave it out

2. Use peeled and diced white potatoes

3. Add freshly minced garlic with the whole cumin

4. Tip half a teaspoon each of ground coriander and cumin with the turmeric and chilli

5. Use more ground red chilli, or chopped green finger chillies, to make it spicier

6. Replace the fresh tomato with two tablespoons of concentrated tomato puree

7. Sprinkle Amchoor (mango powder) or chaat masala with the garam masala for a tangy twist

8. If you don’t have Amchoor or Chaat Masala, use a squirt of lemon for the above

You could, of course, add more vegetables. I have a version with cauliflower, Gobi Aloo Matar, here

Aloo Mattar 1

Feeds 4:

• 500 gm new potatoes
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • Pinch of Asafoetida (hing)
  • 1 tsp whole cumin
  • 2 large tomatoes
  • 1 tsp ground turmeric
  • Half tsp ground chilli
  • 2 cups peas (I use frozen)
  • 1 tbsp fresh coriander, to serve
  • Salt to taste

First wash thoroughly and dice the potatoes into discs. You don’t need to pre-cook or peel them. Also chop the tomatoes into little pieces roughly.

Bring the oil to heat on high in a wok, and when it’s hot add the cumin seeds and asafoetida.  As they sizzle up, toss in the tomatoes and the turmeric and chilli. Stir this well for two minutes until the tomatoes start losing shape.

Now mix in the potatoes. Stir through well making sure they are covered evenly with the spice paste, then add half a cup of water, lower the heat to medium, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes until you can insert a fork into a potato disc easily. Make sure you keep gently stirring the potatoes,to avoid the spice paste getting stuck to the bottom. And if it does, you can add a bit of hot water and loosen with your spoon.

When the potatoes are done, add in the frozen peas. Cover and cook for another two minutes. Then stir through the garam masala and salt to your taste. Sprinkle the fresh coriander all over before serving your Aloo Matar hot, preferably with a flatbread of your choice.

14 Responses to “As you like it Aloo Matar”

1. Ann Says:

September 26th, 2016 at 3:36 am

Finally! A recipe that is simple and inexpensive for the working adult.

2. Hanuman Says:

May 8th, 2016 at 8:39 am

Looks amazing!

Do please try it M x

April 6th, 2016 at 5:25 pm

Great to hear x

4. RK Says:

April 2nd, 2016 at 6:21 am

Just loved this recipe!! Very simple and Yummy!! I will surely try it!

5. Gaurav Sharma Says:

February 20th, 2016 at 6:33 am

Hi Mallika,
    I come to your blog while surfing for best indian food blogs on net and I like your blog very much especially the section in which you suggest the alternates in your dish. This is the uniqueness which I Found in your blog. Now I am going to bookmark your blog in my pc.

February 15th, 2016 at 10:20 pm

It is a Punjabi dish x

7. Club O7 Says:

February 11th, 2016 at 8:40 am

If I am not wrong, it is basically Punjabi dish. May be a wrong, let me know?

Peas (Matar) is also beneficial for your health.

For e.g.

1) Helps you in lose weight

To lose weight, you need a nutritive punch & it should be low in calories. This combination is found in Peas. You can get approximately 118 calories from one cup of Peas.

2) Good for Your Hearth

Pea has Niacin which reduces bad cholesterol and that is responsible for many heart related diseases. They are also rich in antioxidants that prevent your blood vessels & arteries from getting blocked.

3) Bone Health

You all know that Vitamin K is responsible for the bone health. This is also available in it. You can get the daily requirement of Vitamin K1 from one cup of peas.

This would be a perfect dish which diet-conscious should cover in their diet plan.

8. JET entrance exam Says:

February 10th, 2016 at 6:38 am

I came across your blog while looking for some Indian food blogs and liked a lot. How amazing! I will keep an eye on your post.

9. Gillian Didier Serre Says:

January 28th, 2016 at 9:18 pm

What a great idea for today it is snowing in Toronto!???? Aloo Mattar perfect comfort food, reminds me of comfort food during the monsoons in Calcutta (Kolkatta)
    Cheers and Hugs Gillian

January 28th, 2016 at 9:24 am

Hi Divyesh, indeed it would! That’s variation no 10! Thank you x

Hi Uma, great to have you on here. Thanks tons x

Hi Jan, hope it came out okay? Which variation did you go for? x

Hi Ann, taste good enough to make you cook it? ;-) Keep me posted lovely x

11. Divyesh Says:

January 28th, 2016 at 9:15 am

a pinch of dried fenugreek leaves would make dish more testier..

12. Uma Raghuraman Says:

January 26th, 2016 at 11:58 am

Aloo-Matar has a special soft corner in our hearts. A made for each other combination. Looks so good!

13. Jan Says:

January 26th, 2016 at 10:28 am

Thanks for this – it sounds great! Tonight’s menu is settled – I’m heading straight out to the market. Can’t wait!

14. ann Says:

January 26th, 2016 at 4:46 am

Ooh! I can taste it. Thank you.