Kheere ka shorba – Indian cucumber soup

June 12, 2015

Cucumber comes into its own in summer, but it has a life in Indian cooking beyond raitas and salads. We can’t get enough of cucumber in our home, and an Indian cucumber soup is just the right, lightweight dish for warmer days. Enjoy chilled with a chunk of bread.

Kheere ka Shorba 550

• 350gm cucumber
  • 75gm celery
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 4 tbsp plain yoghurt
  • Small handful mint
  • Small handful coriander
  • 1 tsp ghee
  • Squirt of fresh lemon
  • Salt to taste

Chop the celery and garlic into little pieces. Bring the ghee to warm on medium and sauté it for five minute until soft and coloured.

Switch the cooker off and let them cool. Now chop the cucumber into little chunks. Place them along with the other ingredients, and the celery, garlic in ghee, in a blender and puree until smooth.

Serve this Indian cucumber soup on a hot day, chilled with a spoon of yoghurt on top and some fresh mint to garnish.

6 Responses to “Kheere ka shorba – Indian cucumber soup”

1. Laurie MacBride Says:

August 25th, 2015 at 6:12 pm

Quick follow-up to my earlier comment – that 2nd batch of seeds did very well and I now have a bumper crop of cucumber. Have made a batch of relish already. Now might be the time to try the shorba recipe!

2. sanghamitra chowdhury Says:

July 25th, 2015 at 5:17 pm

Hey,I simply have loved your recipe of kheere ka shorba..the ingredients seems so healthy and the dish is looking indeed so yummy..surely gonna try it very soon

July 22nd, 2015 at 1:57 pm

Hi Angelique, you puree it with all the ingredients. Hope you enjoy x

July 22nd, 2015 at 1:56 pm

Great to hear Laurie, good luck with that home grown cucumber!

5. Laurie MacBride Says:

June 13th, 2015 at 5:30 pm

Yum! This sounds great. Now if only my cucumbers would grow…something keeps eating the tiny seedlings before they make it fully into the world. I’ve just planted another batch of seeds and will keep my fingers crossed that I’ll be able to make this soup before the summer is out!

6. Angelique Says:

June 13th, 2015 at 4:15 pm

Where is the coriander used?