Brown Rice Khichdi

June 2, 2015

What to cook when it’s miserable inside and outside, and a mound of white rice will only make things worse? Brown rice khichdi of course (pronounced Khich-ri). I chanced upon the perfect combination of nutty Bengal Gram Lentils with smoky and nuttier Brown Rice while mixing the Bengali classic Cholar Dal into it for a healthier lunch. This Brown Rice Khichdi is now a kitchen staple guaranteed to comfort and heal. See what you think.

Channa dal khichdi 550

Feeds 4:

• 1.5 cups Brown Basmatic rice
  • 1 cup Bengal gram lentils (Channa dal)
  • 1 large bay leaf
  • Half tsp sugar
  • 4 cloves
  • 4 green cardamoms
  • 2 tsps ginger paste (I use a micro plane grater to do this)
  • Half tsp chilli powder
  • Half tsp turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp flavourless oil
  • 4 cups of hot water
  • 1 tsp salt

Soak the lentils in cold water for at least half an hour a d up to two hours, wthen rinse clean. Rinse the brown rice well until the water runs clear. Grate the ginger finely

In a large pot, bring the oil to heat on medium. When it’s hot, add the whole spices and the sugar. As they sizzle up, stir in the ginger, and then the rice and lentils. Stir for a minute, to incorporate the whole lot well, then mix in the turmeric, chilli powders and salt.

Now, add the water, bring to a gentle boil, then cover and cook for 35-40 minutes. Add hald a cup more of hot water if the rice and lentils start getting stuck to the bottom of the pan. You could also use a pressure cooker to speed things up.

finally, turn the heat off, and leave to sit covered for at least another five until you serve the brown rice khichdi. Pickle and papad are must have accompaniments!

8 Responses to “Brown Rice Khichdi”

1. Megha Das Says:

July 2nd, 2016 at 10:19 am

I absolutely loved this brown rice khichdi. I have a kg of organic brown rice at home bought from The Organic Garden. I am surely going to try this dish out. I was skeptical how it would taste but i am happy to see you updating it.

October 15th, 2015 at 11:26 pm

How true Suji! Thanks so much for sharing it earlier too. Hope you try cooking it sometime xx

3. Suji Says:

October 15th, 2015 at 6:58 pm

Love this recipe Mallika…perfect for the Navarathri festival! ?

June 29th, 2015 at 3:52 pm

Hi The Steaming Pot, hope this inspires you and ghee is always good! Hindi in English is always tricky business… i think ri is the closest it gets x

June 29th, 2015 at 3:50 pm

Hi Sangeetha, I prefer brown rice as a khichdi more than in a pulao for exactly that texture reason. But I have to warn you that wholewheat is not advised for children under five in the UK as high-fibre foods fill the tummy and interfere with calorie intake that kids need. Please check with health professionals on your end first x

6. sangeetha menon Says:

June 29th, 2015 at 2:34 am

Brown rice is healthy but brown busmathi rice is a little chewy and so not everyone likes it. But this recipe looks inviting and the spicy combination can help make my kid try out this healthy khichri.

7. The Steaming Pot Says:

June 3rd, 2015 at 9:32 am

Thanks for sharing this. I have been thinking of making khichdi with brown rice, but wasn’t sure how it would turn out. Your recipe gives me faith :-) I think I would use ghee with it :-)

Notating pronunciation in English is tricky business, isn’t it ? “pronounced Khich-ri” – but the ‘ri’ sounds a bit like ‘di’ ;-)

8. ann Says:

June 3rd, 2015 at 4:06 am

Yum, got to try this. Thank you!