How to make garam masala

August 28, 2014

Ready powdered spices reign supreme in my kitchen. But for that extra special moment, a cheap coffee grinder doubles up as the spice grinder of my dreams.

Cheap equals value here, as grinder blades eventually dull. The best of the best are the ones with removeable bowls, for easy clean up. I confess now that I hate pestle and mortars: hard work and not worth the rough specks of spices that fly everywhere.

Garam masala is one of the most special spice mixes to make at home. Blindingly fragrant made fresh, it lifts the simplest of dishes with a sprinkle towards the end of cooking. In fact, adding it too early can turn the dish a tad bitter.

The actual spices that go in vary from household to household. I keep mine simple with 4 cardamoms, 8 black peppers, 8 cloves, 2 small bay leaves, 1 inch cinnamon and 1 tsp cumin. All whole, of course. You can add coriander seeds, dry dinger and even nutmeg to make yours as you like it.

My new video shows you how to make garam masala. How do you like yours?

Comments

7 Responses to “Quick Chicken Korma for Jamie Oliver”

1. ann Says:

December 2nd, 2014 at 1:25 am

Congratulations!! Not sure if I can pick it up in Australia though, will have to investigate.
    I haven’t cooked anything bad from your cookbook so just go for it and cook your butt off.

2. ann Says:

December 2nd, 2014 at 1:29 am

Yes I can, yes I can, have subscribed.

3. Lisa H Says:

December 2nd, 2014 at 1:34 am

Oh, I love these types of dishes! Thank goodness I already subscribe…I don’t want to miss a recipe!!!

4. IshitaUnblogged Says:

December 2nd, 2014 at 2:25 am

Oh you are such a natural… and Congratulations!!! Here’s more such creamy Kormas to your life for doing such a good Karma with your cooking.

Needless to say that I am extremely proud and showing off my friend:)

5. Patricia Says:

December 2nd, 2014 at 4:15 am

Brilliant, Mallika! Can’t wait to try this recipe. May you be invited back to the Food Tube soon, and often…

6. Laurie MacBride Says:

December 2nd, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Wonderful! Fun watching you on this video – you look totally relaxed BTW – and the chicken korma looks fabulous. Nice trick on the cashew cream – I will definitely give this a try. Thanks!

December 2nd, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Thanks so much guys!!

Ann – delighted you get this in Australia. Enjoy the sunshine. IT’s freezing here…

Lisa – don’t forget to leave me a comment please!

Ishita – you are being wonderful, thanks so much for your support on Twitter and here. It feels wonderful

Patricia – Inshallah! Thanks a ton lady x

Laurie – thanks a ton for your lovely kind comments. I actually look forward to them now. Let me know how it goes