Smooth Recovery Sheddo Bhaat

March 14, 2014

Sheddo Bhaat 550

Wash the lentils thoroughly and set to boil with cold water. When it starts bubbling, use a wooden spoon to scoop out any foam/scum that rises to the surface. Then lower the heat to a medium, mix in the turmeric, and cook for about 20 minutes until you get smooth cooked lentils with the texture of a very thick soup. If the lentils dry up too quickly, add some hot water and stir to prevent sticking. Stir ghee and salt in to finish, cover and set aside.

Peel and boil the potatoes, boil the eggs and cook the rice. I boiled the eggs with the potatoes, fishing them out after they boiled for about 15 minutes. I know that some people boil the whole lot together, simply shelling the eggs later.

Mash the potato well, adding salt and the mustard oil in. Shell the eggs. And that’s your lot. Just mix the dal, lentils, potatoes and eggs together, squish a green chilli into the mix and get stuck in. Sheddo Bhaat is also lovely on very hot days, as a soothing and cooling aid.

Comments

10 Responses to “Smooth Recovery Sheddo Bhaat”

July 13th, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Sorry Mona, my bad. I would add it with the turmeric when you are boiling the dal. Enjoy!

2. Mona Says:

June 15th, 2014 at 6:41 am

Got to try this recipe! When should I add the onions?

3. mandira Says:

June 3rd, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Hi Mallika, A few years ago, I couldn’t resist and ate some bread pakora from the street and then paid for it, by taking meds on the flight back. Glad you’re all better.

March 31st, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Hi Sonata, that made me giggle! Boredom is the best aid to recover ;-)

5. sonata Says:

March 31st, 2014 at 4:38 pm

I must try this . It sounds a lot more comforting than the Spanish remedy for an upset stomach which consists of :
    Day 1 = plain boiled rice Day 2 = plain boiled rice with half a peeled and grated Granny Smith apple mixed in . Drink lots of Chamomile tea .
    By Day 3 , bored to death , you’ve willed yourself to be better .

6. Surya Tejaswini Says:

March 26th, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Loved it mam.All the recipes are stunning.Tanq for all the yummy yummy things you are doing for us……:)

March 17th, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Hi Laurie, what wre the chances of a half used bag of urad dal. Go, go, go…

Hi Keka, the holud goes in after you’ve taken the scum off the dal. I ate it after so long… absolutely lovely!

8. Keka Says:

March 17th, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Holud ta kokhon dewa hobe bolle na to? :-)
    sheddho bhaat probably tops the list of my favourite things to eat! not just when you’re feeling under the weather, but also when you’re depressed and need a boost and just like that – any time, any day! :-)
    loved the post!

9. IshitaUnblogged Says:

March 16th, 2014 at 3:49 am

Ahhh Mallika, seemed like I was reading my story. And I could visualise the Homeopath doctor. One question – originally does ‘sheddho bhaat’ use Basmati Rice since its more difficult to digest?

I am not a rice person but I could actually finish the entire *dekchi* full of shedho bhaat!

10. Laurie MacBride Says:

March 15th, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Great story, Malika! And the recipe sounds good – I like the idea of cooking all of it together in one pot (the fewer dishes to wash, the better). Thanks also for the link to your old post with the urad dal recipe – I’ve had a bag of them in my cupboard for some time now and have been wondering what to do with them.