New look, new book, old me

Mallika Basu - New look, new book, old me

Posted 3rd May 2010

This is where I’ve been. Last Wednesday saw the launch of my new book Miss Masala: Real Indian Cooking for Busy Living.

For all of you who have been following my recipes, straight talking tips and life’s ups and downs, Harper Collins has now packaged them into a handbag-sized read, complete with illustrations of vodka bottles and stilettos.

Seriously though, it took a year to get the deal, two years to write the book, most of it while being pregnant and then on maternity leave.

So the launch was an excellent excuse for a wild party. I decide to invite 200 well-heeled Londoners, book a bar in London’s Soho and order crates of champagne, vodka and gin.

Except I then find out there is another naan in the oven. Yes, people, micro mini Basu is also on its way! That would mean no champagne, vodka or gin for yours truly. Not even to celebrate three years of hard graft.

The immediate concern was finding a maternity dress that didn’t resemble a sack. I’m happy to report on a sequin fuchsia pink chiffon number set off perfectly by a pair of complimentary cubic zirconia dangly earrings sent to me by the lovely Sarah of Lu Shae jewelry art designs.

The launch was a huge success. Let’s hope some of you like the book! Now back to blogging, bhunas and babies. Wish me the best for the rest!

PS = the book is on Amazon and at most good bookstores in Australia and New Zealand, Europe (Belgium & Luxembourg, France, Norway and Sweden), Kenya and the UAE. India launch to happen soon. I’ll keep you posted!

PPS = 1000 thanks to anyone who follows this blog for your unstinting support. Bloggers Asha, Sia, Sra, Sandeepa, Indosungod, Srivalli, Jenn, Ann and Elisabeth also got a special mention in the acknowledgments before I ran out of space.

46 responses to “New look, new book, old me”

1. nags says:

this is awesome!! Congrats 🙂

2. Sra says:

Whee! Book looks good. Congratulations on that and micro mini Basu too! Thanks for thinking of me.

3. Silvara says:

OMG!! Congrats on….everything!!! The book, the fantastic new look and LOL micro mini Basu 😀

I am so glad you said the book was available in Australia – I’ve been using your recipes to cook quick indian food for ages and loved every one 😀 Will check it out asap!

4. Maninas says:

Doulbe congratulations, dear Mallika! 😀

5. Ritika says:

Hey Mallika,
    Many, many congratulations… God, do u have a full life.. and yeah can’t wait for the book to hit the stores in India.. and congrats again 🙂

6. teresacooks says:

Congratulations on all of your big news! Think the book will be released in the states?

7. Naomi says:

Congrats on ALL of it!

8. meeso says:

Congratulations & Congratulations 🙂 I will definitely check out the book!

9. Congratulations on both!

10. indosungod says:

Lots of Congratulations are in order. Have to get the book in my hands soon.

11. sulagna says:

wow!!! girl..way to go!!! i was on amazon last noon trying to figure out how to book..you have to have to let me know of the india launch and how can i get myself a copy..lots of love to mini basu and the lil one on her way …once again congratulations on the very well deserved book 🙂 and fame

12. Eeshani says:

Congratulations, Mallika! How exciting!

13. Bhagyashri says:

Congrats on the book & micro mini basu too! You certainly have your plate full, havent you?

BTW, the new look is fantastic.

14. Arundhuti says:

Congratulations Mallika!!

15. manik says:

Congratulations on all accounts !!!!
    great new look !!

16. Grant says:

Stumbled on your book yesterday by accident. Bought it straight away as I’m curry- & cookbook-daft. Am reading before taking it to the kitchen, but am dribbling slightly with anticipation! Entertaining read and looking forward to trying out the recipes. Refreshingly simple approach. Thanks!

17. asha says:

Hi sweetie! What a pleasant surprise, will look for this book in Amazon. Great job! 🙂

My blogs are recently fixed, so I am back. Thanks for your acknowledgment of me, I am honored!
    Happy Mother’s day to you. Hugs! :))

18. dolly basu says:

cant make up mind , enjoy reading the book or enjoy cookin first . i was laughing all the way . ha ha ha

19. Mamatha says:

Congratulations on the micro mini Basu and the book.

20. Hey Dear,
    I am a first timer to your space but it certainly won’t be the last. Made a beeline from Susan’s space(thewellseasonedcook) to here. Congrats on the book launch and baby#2. Checked out a video and a couple of posts..Lovely dhal clip by the way. While I was watching you cook, I was also wondering what shade of Nail Polish you had on your nails.Care to enlighten me? They look fantastic! Perfect for summer. Lol.

21. Mona says:

Congratulations Mallika!

22. Lavanya says:

Congrats Mallika on all the good news!!! When I read on your site that Miss Masala was available to buy on Amazon I bought it immediately and I love it, in fact am reading it just now with a Vodka cocktail in hand!!! Love it thank you and congrats again
    on your book launch and the great news about micro mini Basu.

23. harshika says:

Hey Mallika,

Double whammy! Of the good kind though! Huge congratulations on concieving the book and micro mini ,both! How accomplished are you! Am totally complexed now..again mean it in a nice way…
    Lovely everything. Go girl!

Love
    harshika
    dubai

24. Aviva says:

Hi Mallika, Congratulations! Am really happy for you! Plan to buy a copy of your book as soon as it hits India! More power to you! Besto, aviva

25. Ren says:

Just discovered your blog and can’t wait to get your book!Love cooking Indian food for my Roman friends!

26. PJ says:

HI Mallika.Came thro Susans blog and love your space.Double congrats-for the book and the lil one.Will get a copy of ur book once it reaches India. 🙂

27. Shilpa says:

Hi Mallika- heard all the big news and of course saw the uber-fantastic pictures. congrats on all fronts!! heaps of love from across the pond.

28. mandira says:

Congratulations Mallika! congrats on everything, looking forward to reading it.

29. Congrats! Me gonna buy this today itself!

30. Mary says:

Hi Mallika,
    Love your book. Thank you so much. I’ve been waiting and waiting for it because your recipes from the website are always so good. Now I am enjoying the book too. Many many thanks. Best wishes for you and your growing family. And thanks again. You’re a lifesaver.

31. Congrats! I have to get me a copy of this! Looking forward to it!

32. Srivalli says:

New look is great Mallika, I thought I replied to your mail, will check again..:)

33. rakhee says:

You have a wonderful blog going out here. Its every blogger’s dream to publish something in print in one’s lifetime. Hats Off to you as you have achieved that in a very early stage of your life. I just wanted to enquire where in UAE is your book available? Is it thru any site? Keep the good work going!!!!

34. Shohini says:

Congratulations!! New book, new baby, so excited for you. You must let us know when the book will come to Canada.

35. Shabs says:

Hi mallika,
    came here thru FB.Nice to meet you!I just dropped in to say congrats on release of your book!So much of work goes into making it ha?…..i have been thinking of making a book too, but the amount of work that goes into it is laying me back…BTW, I too live in UK, so one day We might bump on each other.

oved your blog and recipes. Let me browse through the rest now.

Regards,
    Shabs.

36. nurez says:

out standing blog will try to find the book today at Chapters GOOD JOB

37. gypsydutta says:

love your blogs always.looking forward to read your book also.

38. Jo says:

1st read your blogs which pointed me to your book.
    Absolutely love our book can.t wait to try your recipes.
    It reads more like a novel than a cookbook which makes it so much fun to read, love ya style!

39. Ankan says:

nice blog and congradulation..

40. Ankan says:

I liked your book..

41. Hello i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anyplace, when i read this article i thought i could also create comment due to this good piece of writing.

42. Audrey says:

For the Hara Bhara how does the amount of spinach compare with the peas or potato? I would use fresh and don’t know what 4 cubes of frozen would be.

43. Srinivas says:

Just wanted to say this is a beautiful blog. Being a food lover, I love the presentation and can almost taste them through your blog:)

44. Emma Frost says:

You are my Fan to sharing this awesome recipes news sharing. Thanks a lot.

45. Karthikeyan says:

First of all all the best for all your success in releasing this book after so many hurdles… I simply love the cover page of the book it is colourful and the reaction of wow can see on my face. Eagerly waiting to look after the book. will bond with you after completing the book… Nice to follow your blogs and the recipes you share. Thank you!