Indo Chinese recipes: Chilli Chicken and Hakka Noodles

February 11, 2010

I’ve done some stupid things in my time. But this last month has taken the biscuit. I’ve:

Left my makeup bag and spectacles in the back of a black cab

Burnt mini Basu’s creative casserole and other gourmet offerings to crisp

Conducted a branding workshop for 22 senior corporate executives with my fly undone

Now, there’s Chinese food on an Indian cooking blog.

Bear with me. We eat Dim Sum every weekend. And I’m a big fan of Indo Chinese recipes.  And Chindian is my special name for Indian Chinese. Originally from the Hakka Chinese community in India, with a bit of masala thrown in for good measure.

It’s all in honour of a dear friend and fellow blogger Ann Mah, whose literary debut Kitchen Chinese launched this week. The Hakka Noodle and Chilli Chicken combo fed my video guru, man and me last night. I can’t wait to get some brain cells back to read about the real thing!

Feeds 4:

Chilli chicken

• 10 small skinless chicken drumsticks
  • 75ml dark soy sauce
  • 1 large onion
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • 4 green finger chillies
  • 2 tbsp sunflower oil

Hakka noodles

• 300gm medium egg noodles
  • 1 large tea mug shredded cabbage
  • 1 large tea mug shredded carrot
  • 1 green pepper
  • 5 spring onions
  • 1.5 tbsp chilli garlic sauce (any Chinese one will do nicely)
  • 1.5 tbsp dark soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp white vinegar
  • 1 garlic clove
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 tbsp flavourless white oil

Chilli Chicken

Soak the chicken in the soy sauce. Chop the onion into large pieces, the chillies into little ones and slice the garlic.

In a wok or kadai, bring the oil to heat on high. When it’s hot, fry the garlic until golden then add all the other ingredients and stir every few minutes until the chicken is cooked. You’ll know because the chicken will separate from the bone. While it’s cooking make the noodles.

Hakka Noodles

Cook the noodles and set aside. Chop the garlic clove and mix it together with the sauces. Slice the green pepper finely and chop the spring onions.

Next, bring the oil to heat on high in a wok or kadai. When the oil starts sizzling, pour in the sauce mixture and in a few seconds the vegetables, bar one chopped spring onion. Cook for about two minutes until they soften, then mix in the cooked noodles, add salt and pepper to taste.

Sprinkle the noodles with the remaining chopped spring onion and eat straightaway.

If you develop a taste for this, try also Nags’ Gobi Manchurian or Meenal’s Egg-vegetable Fried Rice.

23 Responses to “Indo Chinese recipes: Chilli Chicken and Hakka Noodles”

1. ED Hardy Boots Says:

January 3rd, 2012 at 5:52 pm

you might have an incredible blog right here! would you like to make some invite posts on my blog?

2. internet Says:

August 10th, 2011 at 1:05 pm

As a website resource for corporations and technological innovation enthusiasts to observe the latest and greatest breakthroughs in Unified Communications, IP Telephony, Hosted Communications and VoIP.

3. Praise Says:

July 12th, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I made this dish for my family last night and they loved it!! Especially the noodles :)
    Thank you so much for some super easy and delicious recipes that the whole family can enjoy.

4. Amarnath Says:

January 20th, 2011 at 9:23 am

Dear Mallika,
    Great, easy chilli chicken recipe.
    Have a doubt; you use ten small chicken drumsticks….
    Can you tell me how much would that be in weight?
    I ask, because drumstick sizes can be so varying…
    Best wishes.

5. Allison Pogose Says:

January 5th, 2011 at 10:20 pm

I left India 22years ago and have not had chilli chicken in all that time. I am going to enjoy trying out this recipe and the hakka noodles. Thank you so much for putting in on here – I now know why chinese food here is so different to what I used to eat in India!

6. Max Kelcourse Says:

November 30th, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Interesting stuff! I travelled to the UK this summer and had my first ever afternoon tea with a scone, and it was so delicious I thought I’d make my own last week. I might have deviated from the norm maybe – I found a tonne of random scone recipes here and made 5 different kinds! My friends were so happy when I brought them round for tea and scones. Terrific fun!

September 1st, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Hi Dan – I suggest you try the recipe first before calling it “bullshit”. Nothing carbonises because of the juices from the chicken. It’s not rocket science!!

8. Abha Says:

June 13th, 2010 at 6:26 am

Hi, I am a big fan of Indian Chinese & love the word Chindian! In my own recipe for Chili chicken, I use all parts of the chicken (cut into bite sized pieces), brown with ginger-garlic paste and after frying, give it a quick pressure cook with lots and lots of green chillies.

9. March Says:

May 28th, 2010 at 8:39 am

The chilly chicken turned out great..Thanks for the recepie. It was soo simple and delicious – a winning combination!!

10. Dan Says:

May 3rd, 2010 at 10:22 am

I love chindian but I find this recipe lacking in clarity: how can you heat the wok on high, fry the garlic and then the drumsticks still on high (??) until done, without carbonizing the garlic and everything else in the meantime? the drumsticks will take about 30 minutes to get to the level of donenes you indicate, you only stir every few minutes? and you don’t add any liquid? I think everything will be carbon black by the time the chicken is done. This is a bullshit recipe, I won’t even bother to try it.

I suppose it’s great for you that you got a book deal, but the quality of the blog is really suffering lately.

11. Cheryl Says:

March 25th, 2010 at 9:39 am

Ive been told I need to eat healthier and to introduce Indian food and spices to my diet.

So after coming across this site and finding this wonderful looking dish I am going to be brave and give it a go. I hope its easy for beginners :P

Wish me luck

12. Margaret Says:

February 23rd, 2010 at 10:57 am

I learn from food blogs all the time and ‘Chindean’ is something I have never come across before. I need to broaden my outlook now and try this delicious recipe.

13. notyet100 Says:

February 18th, 2010 at 9:53 pm

yummy combo,simple yet delicious,..

14. ritika Says:

February 16th, 2010 at 7:07 am

and you are back :D
    and if it’s any solace.. a friend of mine walked 3 km to work with a lacy bra attached to her linen pants as her tail. :D

February 16th, 2010 at 5:40 am

Never heard of this name but familiar with chilli chicken, my fave, great combo.

You have been busy too, so many mishaps! :D

Me too, been busy organizing 4 birthdays in 2 months, pretty hectic, it will be over shortly! :)

16. Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen Says:

February 15th, 2010 at 12:19 pm

It looks great, as usual! :)

17. Ann Mah Says:

February 15th, 2010 at 11:47 am

This sounds fantastic and I love the combination of dishes. Chinese food has also been influenced by Indian cuisine — have you ever had a Chinese curry? Thank you for mentioning my novel, Kitchen Chinese, Mallika!

Happy Chinese New Year to you and your lovely family!

18. sheba Says:

February 15th, 2010 at 12:14 am

We are huge fans of Indian Chinese or chindian as u so beautifully put it… this looks wonderful…

19. Fig and Cherry Says:

February 13th, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Chindian – that’s a new one, love it! Great photo.

20. Maninas Says:

February 12th, 2010 at 3:16 am

What a week!!! I’m sorry but I did laugh…

21. Naomi Says:

February 12th, 2010 at 1:04 am

Love this!! Adding it to our list of recipes for next week!!!

22. jules Says:

February 11th, 2010 at 7:15 pm

love the idea of chindian mallika

sounds like you’ve had a tough month.

hope the weekend is lovely for you

23. indosungod Says:

February 11th, 2010 at 3:59 pm

I dig Chindian almost always and this one looks perfectly fantastic.