Recipe

Aloo Gobi Mattar

June 24, 2009

My annual Greenfinger’s Day came and went this year. Planting pots and pruning hedges hardly feature in my top ten things to get flustered about these days.

One sunny morning, I opened our balcony door to let the first seasonal rays of sunshine in. A breath of fresh air. A joy in my step. A view of dead leaves.

Lovely.

My father-in-law took pity on me and decided to lead the charge on the gardening project. I extracted my fluorescent gardening gloves and scissors in preparation.

“Those are kitchen scissors.”

Yes, I know dad.

“When did you last water these plants”

Two weeks ago.

“You know plants need water to survive?”

That’s only a small technical oversight!

We spent the evening clearing up, replanting courgette and tomato plants my sister-in-law had ambitiously donated to me. Dad did, that is. I made every excuse to leap back into the flat: dinner, baby, strange itch in my little finger.

One week of watering later, I have two courgette flowers and a thriving collection of flowers (identity unknown). I won’t swamp you with courgette curries yet, but here’s a winter to summer Aloo Gobi Mattar or cauliflower, potato and pea stir fry to celebrate seasonal changes.

Aloo Gobi 550

Ingredients

Feeds 2:

• 1 small cauliflower
  • Half mug green shelled peas (I used freshly frozen)
  • 1 medium potato
  • 1 tsp coriander powder
  • Half tsp cumin powder
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • Half tsp chilli powder
  • Half tsp turmeric powder
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • Salt to taste

Method

Cut the cauliflower into large florets and wash them in a colander. Don’t make them too small or they’ll fall apart when you cook them.

Peel and chop the potato into little pieces. Mix the spice powders with two tablespoons of warm water. Bring a large frying pan to heat on medium with the tablespoon of oil. When it’s hot, add the cumin seeds and as they sizzle up, spice powder mix.

As this bubbles up, toss in the potatoes and cauliflower, cover and cook for 10 minutes adding a tablespoon of water if you need to to prevent the spices from sticking to the bottom of the pan.

When a fork inserted into the cauliflower goes in easily, stir in the peas, add salt to taste and cook for a a minute.

Comments

16 Responses to “Aloo Gobi Mattar”

1. Parita Says:

June 24th, 2009 at 6:09 am

I wish i had a garden where i could plant few herb, this is the exact same way we prepare simple cauliflower dish but i do add little sugar too :)

2. bindiya Says:

June 24th, 2009 at 6:50 am

Loved the way you described ur gardening!, cauliflower looks yummy!

3. Vaishali Says:

June 24th, 2009 at 1:15 pm

Your gardening story made me smile– I used to be like that, still am, but I think I am getting a little better each year as in I am killing fewer plants now, although my husband Desi will likely not agree :)

4. Sunshinemom Says:

June 24th, 2009 at 5:09 pm

That sounded so much like my husband! I stopped growing plants after I left them under his care for a week and returned to find them malnutritioned or dead! Hope your new ones thrive under loving care:). I make cauliflower this way too and we love it.

5. Bharti Says:

June 24th, 2009 at 7:55 pm

Hehe..I know the feeling well. I have a black thumb…. even killed a chinese bamboo plant. Yummy food!

6. Wendy Says:

June 24th, 2009 at 11:47 pm

I had a hugely disappointing cauliflower curry last week. Shall make this soon to help me forget.

Have 3 courgette plants growing into monsters in the garden. All recipes greatly appreciated.

7. The Leftover Queen Says:

June 26th, 2009 at 7:30 am

Thank goodness for Dads! They certainly help a lot sometimes! :)

8. Eeshani Says:

June 27th, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Perfect timing! Our farmer market is swamped with gobi and mattar. Nice to see you back and in dazzling form again!

9. Ritika Says:

June 30th, 2009 at 6:04 am

:) I am all smiles, like I always am after I have read ur blog. Never knew recipes could be so much fun.. while the recipes are all soo good, often inconsequential.

nb- a little request for you baby basu, please allow mommy to write more often. Will ya?

10. Sriram Says:

July 14th, 2009 at 10:21 am

My friend’s mom used to make a mild gravy of onion tomato and ground cashewnut which would form a great base for this recipe

11. Mythreyi Dilip Says:

July 15th, 2009 at 6:01 pm

Mmmmm looks really yummy….

12. Elisabeth Says:

July 24th, 2009 at 12:41 am

I too am a rotten gardener. I think it comes from my childhood: “Don’t touch it! It’s dirty!” whereas cooking got a cultural thumbs-up.

I was interviewed by a southwest foodie mag about my blog and when asked about my faves, I said: “Quick Indian Cooking really keeps me on my toes.”

Hey, those fluorescent gardening gloves? I want some!

13. mandira Says:

July 24th, 2009 at 7:06 am

We just moved to a house where everything is overgrown.. can I borrow your FIL for some help ;) The cauliflower curry looks good.

14. alice Says:

July 26th, 2009 at 7:15 am

Mallika, dying to knw baby basu’s name? and we need some pics pls!

15. This Week’s Harvest, 3/9 « Seasonal Market Menus Says:

March 9th, 2011 at 6:57 pm

[…] of many meatless days in the near future for Nick and me.  But should I bake a cauliflower cake?  Gobi Mattar? A creamy-crunchy gratin?  Well, I called Nick to ask what he thought.  I’d been leaning […]

16. Eat Your Way Around the World... Without Leaving Home | theorganicauthority.com - Organic Living Says:

November 10th, 2013 at 5:32 am