No Blender Doodh Badam

January 23, 2009

It’s time for an update on the naan in the oven.

Well, I am now the size of a two-bedroom bungalow. My social life has been overtaken by ante-natal events with other soon-to-be parents, an obstetrician who can never remember my name and a pony-tail sporting pregnancy yoga instructor.

Mercifully, work and friends are saving me from a fate of endless thoughts about Disney and powder pink non-essential baby clutter. I keep getting asked if I’m tired. No. I am too busy to be tired.

In fact I am on a one woman crusade to prove that being pregnant does not relegate you to a temporary life of sack wearing, swollen ankles and sulking under a blanket. I am carrying on as normal as possible. With a few adjustments.

Like the gig I went to yesterday. I called the venue manager and managed to get a bar stool reserved by the stage. Arrived early so I could take my spot sensibly. And left just before the crowds dispersed to avoid getting walked on.

A glass of something cold and alcoholic would have been nice. But even I know you can’t have everything!

To comfort myself, I whizzed up this no blender Doodh Badam. Literally meaning nutty milk, this warm, frothy drink is like a giant hug when you need it the most. It’ll definitely keep me going until d-day.

Makes 1:

• Half pint or 284 ml milk (I used full fat soya milk)
  • 2 green cardamoms
  • 15 skinned almonds
  • 5 strands saffron
  • Brown sugar

Smash the cardamoms with the flat side of a knife and crush the seeds well. Roughly smash the almonds into little pieces. I started doing this with a pestle and mortar, got bored and blitzed them in my mini chopper.

Bring the milk to a boil with the almonds. When it starts bubbling, lower the flame to a gentle simmer and whisk in the cardamom seeds and the sugar. I used a teaspoon, but you may want to add more.

After two minutes, pour the whipped milk into a suitable glass or mug and sprinkle the saffron on top. Mix well and enjoy on the couch with a good book.

18 Responses to “No Blender Doodh Badam”

1. dina Says:

February 9th, 2009 at 11:08 pm

we Gujarati Indians fast on many occaisos so this recepi is the best helping and filling recepi-its a delecious variety

2. Deepa Says:

February 6th, 2009 at 10:58 pm

Wow, congratulations!! When’re you due? Best wishes!

3. ashavari Says:

February 1st, 2009 at 10:17 pm

mallika- i think your site is brilliant-i hate cooking-am terrified of it-but you make it so simple…i am a big fan and am looking forward to your book soon!

4. Dershana Says:

February 1st, 2009 at 12:01 am

hey mallika, first time here and am I glad to find a fellow ‘preg’ blogger ;-) all the best with the lil one.

5. Leshar Says:

January 28th, 2009 at 7:22 pm

Like Seona, I was expecting recipe update but was exciting to learn of yr pregnancy, take care and yes, take the pampering while u have the chance, once baby is here, he/she is the centre of the universe for all!!!!Including you!

6. ganga Says:

January 28th, 2009 at 3:58 pm

naan in the oven ;-) Great title to your post. I made almond milk just recently for the first time and love it. I made it in the blender with whole soaked almonds and water. It was so good. i am going to try your hot recipe next,but only after the weather cools down here.

7. JennDZ_The LeftoverQueen Says:

January 26th, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Oh boy that drink sounds delicious Mallika! Right up my alley! You are so cute! :)

8. Shan Says:

January 26th, 2009 at 8:10 am

Hi Mallika, just a quick note to say congrats on your pregnancy (didn’t know) and hope that you and baby are doing well :)

9. sandeepa Says:

January 26th, 2009 at 6:53 am

Ha, ha Mallika, going under the blanket might help though ;-)
    Just relax and have fun and put your feet up and if people are ready to pamper you, go ahead take it !!!

10. Elisabeth Winkler Says:

January 25th, 2009 at 4:05 am

Just want to add that my version is always cold so can’t wait to try yours – comfort food, or what?

11. Elisabeth Winkler Says:

January 25th, 2009 at 4:00 am

My million-dollar question is would ground almonds work as well as pounding whole ones? I love nutritious omigod-I don’t-have-time-to-eat drinks: my staple is rice milk plus banana, cinnammon, ginger and ground almonds whizzed in. Next time I am gonna crush those cardamon seeds too – that is great addition. My two-million-dollar question is: Mallika, a book?! This sounds interesting/exciting. Keep us posted. Pick my brains whenever. And, thirdly, I so agree with Seona – clean water is the key to the health of our human family.

I too was very active in my pregnancies (I recall dancing at nine months – which also helps the baby’s head engage!) but all the same I take my hat off to you. Well done for resisting the stereotype of the passive mama! As Indosungod said, doing nothing is very soporific…

12. Maninas Says:

January 24th, 2009 at 11:39 am

I was wondering how you’re doing, so thanks for the update. glad to hear all’s well.

btw, how’s the book going?

13. sra Says:

January 24th, 2009 at 2:30 am

Naan in the oven – :-D :-D

14. notyet100 Says:

January 24th, 2009 at 1:47 am

Congrats,..couldnt help smilin while reading ur post,..i was almost like u ,..when i was carryin,..i used to realise that i am carryin only mey frens and family memebers used to ask me,.r when i used to go for routine tests,.take care and enjoy thee days, life gonna be lotz different,..but u gonn aluv it more,..:-)ceeu soon,..nd ya i forgot to tell…badam milk looks divine,..wish u could pass me one,..:-)

15. Bharti Says:

January 23rd, 2009 at 10:43 pm

Naan in the
    I know I’m gonna smile when I come to your blog. Love the badaam doodh. Reminds me of my mom. She’d make this stuff every time we would sit up late talking…

16. Seona Ashton Says:

January 23rd, 2009 at 10:02 pm

When I saw “the naan in the oven” I thought it was going to be literally about cooking naans in the oven and oh neat this I need to learn. (LAUGHING AT HERSELF)

Most of those rules for keeping mother and baby safe were designed by families when only 2 babies on average made it to adulthood and 60% of women died younger than necessary from pregnancy related causes.

As places in the world gradually got safer for mother and babies we women wisely started to say “relax mum” and test the old rules to see if they still applied.

Providing affordable and universal access to clean water is still the most important ingredient for the recipe a country or culture needs to follow to keep more mothers well and to provide the conditions for more healthy babies to be born, nurtured and supported to grow and survive to old age

Long may we all do what it takes to give all women everywhere affordable access to clean water all the time.

January 23rd, 2009 at 12:35 pm

I was so “normal”, people used to think I am not pregnant, just fat! ;D

In India, they do pamper you so much that you feel like a invalid person until the baby pops out and then they make you stay covered and protected inside the room again!
    I never ate “for two” nor did I stop doing the routine stuff and of course I was in UK, so I was the boss. I carried my own suitcase to the hospital myself when laboring and 2 days later, I was shopping! YAY! ;D

As long as you feel well, continue to do what to you do. Badam milk is good for everybody, so drink up and have fun! :)

18. indosungod Says:

January 23rd, 2009 at 11:53 am

So absolutely true dear Mallika, the minute my doctor asked me to stop working and go on rest for a week before the date I started feeling tired/sleepy/wanting pamering everything under the sun. So keep busy and enjoy life before disruptions become the norm.

That badam milk is a treat :)