Christmas special Peshwari Naan

December 19, 2008

I have been known to serve my food with readymade, store bought naan. But as this is Christmas. I thought I’d make an effort and trial Peshwari Naan, a soft mixed nut and raisin-filled tandoori flatbread. I cleared the kitchen surface, cancelled all appointments and got ready to prepare the feast.

Just then I got a note about the evening plans. Christmas carols under the tree will now feature more than tuneless singing and too much drinking. Our host, the neighbour downstairs, has tasked his long suffering man with cooking dinner for the seven invited guests. Using a recipe from this blog.

I immediately offered assistance. And Peshawari naans. But it was hard to tell who was freaking out more. The lovely new Indian cook downstairs. Or me about the potential for two recipes to fail in front of all my neighbours.

The Peshawari Naans have been made. The recipe follows below. The jury is out. I will keep you posted. Most importantly, to make these simply remember:

1. Yeast does some sort of weird sticky alien thing with fingernails. Kneading is best avoided with freshly manicured hands
  2. The dough needs to rest in a warm place. Avoid your wardrobe. Turn the oven on to a minimum and stick in in there
  3. Naans are teardrop shaped. My tried and tested scientific method to achieve this is by rolling them out any way I want and then stretching them by hand into the desired teardrop
  4. Don’t worry about the stuffing bursting out. There are bigger things to worry about (e.g hands, as above)
  5. Unless you fancy staying sober and attached to the naan-making assembly line, make these beforehand. Wrap them up in cling film or stick them in an airtight container and microwave for 30 seconds each with a sprinkling of water before serving

PS= Recipe a big hit!

PPS= The reason I made naan in the first place was because I got tagged for Breadline Africa by one of my favourite bloggers Bharti of Veggie Foodist. A sober reminder of the less fortunate as we dive into Chrismas feasts…

Makes 7:

• 300 gm plain white flour
  • Extra for dusting
  • Quarter cup natural yogurt
  • Quarter cup whole milk
  • 7 gm instant yeast
  • 1 tsp white sugar
  • 10 each of cashewnuts, almonds, pistachios
  • 20 raisins
  • 1 tbsp nigella (black onion) seeds
  • 1.5 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp oil

Soak the almonds in warm water to help skin them later. In a large mixing bowl, sieve the plain flour. Add to this the yeast, sugar, salt and nigella seeds.

Warm the milk and yogurt together for 40 seconds in the microwave or on the cooker. Add a third of the flour mixture and mix well incorporating all the ingredients. This is when it’s all sticky and awful.

Keep adding the milk and yogurt until all the dry flour is incorporated into a soft and pliable dough. You want to punch the dough with your knuckles backwards and forwards for a good five minutes. This was exhausting but I kept reminding myself of the soft naan later.

Next, tip the dough ball on its side, coat the bowl with the oil and place the dough back in the centre. Dampen a clean cloth with warm water, cover the bowl and leave to sit in a warm place for two hours.

After two hours, take it out and give the now double and very frothy dough a few more punches and return to its warm place with the cover.

An hour later, peel the almonds (or simply use skinned almonds) and roughly crush all the nuts together. Extract the dough and punch it down again. Turn the oven on to the highest setting, with the lined baking tray inside it.

Tear the dough into seven even balls. Flatten each one on a floured surface, stuff with 3-4 raisins and a tablespoon of the nut mixture, then roll into about half a centimetre thick and stretch into a teardrop shape. Use as little flour as possible and shake off any excess flour because this will make the naan hard.

I would recommend putting no more than two in the oven  at one time. They only need three minutes on one side for brown spots to appear and fluff up. Get the next two on and brush the cooked hot naans with butter. To serve, dampen them slightly and microwave for 30 seconds each drizzled with some nuts fried in butter for a truly decadent treat.

17 Responses to “Christmas special Peshwari Naan”

1. An inimitable Indian Christmas, Part 4 – Nice little nibbles and rocking recipes | The Spice Scribe Says:

December 20th, 2013 at 1:05 pm

[…] the big day proper comes the parties, and ‘Miss Masala‘ Mallika Basu is a big fan of peshwari naan to feed revellers with rumbly tums. When they get too rowdy, bring out Angela Malik’s Maharaja […]

2. rosie lovell Says:

January 3rd, 2009 at 9:01 am

loving the fingernail tip. you are a true goddess!
    been making curries all week (even new years eve) and even made our own tamarind paste and rechad spice paste (? madhur jaffery new book yum) proud?!

3. DK Says:

December 29th, 2008 at 3:14 pm

Dint know about this site until you knocked at my site with a link! This is ‘indeedy’ gud luking jus like the host! Will keep in touch :)

4. DK Says:

December 29th, 2008 at 3:14 pm

Dint you about this site until you knocked at my site with a link! This is ‘indeedy’ gud luking jus like the host! Will keep in touch :)

5. Francis Says:

December 24th, 2008 at 10:22 pm

I love naans.

What a visual treat! And complete with recipe.

6. Bharti Says:

December 24th, 2008 at 3:59 pm

Thanks sweetie..I’m flattered you kneaded ’cause of the tag!

7. Alka Says:

December 23rd, 2008 at 9:46 am

Loved ur writing style(damn funny),the look of blog(first time here),the recipes( nice collection)and ofcourse peshawari naan

8. Maninas Says:

December 23rd, 2008 at 3:03 am

Can’t wait to try this!

Wishing you all the best for Christmas and new year!

9. Daniela Says:

December 22nd, 2008 at 1:44 am

Wow, what a wonderful site.
    I’m a first timer here and must say that everything looks very professional the recipes sound delish, the photos looks amazing and you are great!
    Definitely on my favorites :)
    Thank you.

10. N+D Says:

December 21st, 2008 at 3:17 pm

V tempting…but I’m also tempted to skip the almond soaking/peeling bit. Can I get away with it? This sounds such a treat!

11. Deeba Says:

December 21st, 2008 at 9:08 am

Hey slow down lovely lady. You gotta catch some rest! Now the naans looking very nice indeed…but not very sober…hmmmmmmmm…what’s up? Love your banter. Take care Mallika; made your shammi kebabs day before!! Loads of love

12. Arundhuti Says:

December 21st, 2008 at 1:12 am

Lovely naans!! I never had the courage to make them at home, but seeing yours, i am getting inspired….:-)

13. Bharti Says:

December 20th, 2008 at 9:54 pm

Beautiful Naans! I dislike kneading ’cause I’m simply lazy! Will avoid my wardrobe indeed!

14. JennDZ_The LeftoverQueen Says:

December 20th, 2008 at 5:52 pm

What a fantastic holiday recipe. I have never had a sweet naan before, I would love to try yours, Mallika!

15. Rashmi Says:

December 19th, 2008 at 11:25 pm

M,you seem to be one of the lucky few, who can dish out soft, fluffy naans. I run at the mere mention of yeast and all that kneading-sheading, but if I ever do attempt naan, it will your recipe

16. Srivalli Says:

December 19th, 2008 at 11:19 pm

That looks very delicious malika…I am sure these brighten any day!..will try this out sometime!

17. Madhuram Says:

December 19th, 2008 at 7:37 pm

Point 4 made me laugh so much. I made regular naan once, it came out well, atleast the shape. But it had a sour taste and yeasty taste/smell. Not ventured in that process again.