Tamatar Shorba, Mughlai-style Indian Tomato Soup

Mallika Basu - Tamatar Shorba, Mughlai-style Indian Tomato Soup

Posted 13th November 2008

I’ve been outed. Shortly after the Frankfurt book fair, an Indian magazine announced my other big news.

My mad ramblings, irreverent rants and quick recipes are to be published into a lifestyle/narrative cookbook by HarperCollins titled “Miss Masala”.

Of course this being journalism, they got two out of three facts wrong. I write a Quick Indian Cooking food blog. True. I live in the US. False. I am the obese spoon-wielding aunty in a cotton sari depicted by the resident cartoonist. Gross misrepresentation!

Still, it’s far better than the tepid response from some of my family members. Gran and dad take it in turns to claim I inherited the skill from them. On his recent trip, dad responded disbelievingly at the meal I cooked for him. And even asked me if I knew what “blanching” meant.

Thank god I have publishing glory to look forward to. Even though the book won’t hit the shops until March 2010. Watch this space.

In the meantime, here’s a Tamatar Shorba or Mughlai-style Indian tomato soup recipe requested by one of my readers. I’ll spare you too much sentimentality, but I wouldn’t be here without you lot, yadi yadi yada… Β Just please start saving to buy my book!

Feeds 2:

• 10 medium tomatoes (about 1 kg)
  • 1 tsp whole cumin
  • Handful of fresh coriander
  • 2 fat garlic cloves
  • 1 red finger chilli
  • Half tsp Kasoori methi or dry fenugreek
  • 2 teaspoons brown dememera sugar
  • 1 tsp sunflower oil
  • Salt to taste

Wash, slice the tops off and quarter the tomatoes. Slice the garlic.

In a medium-sized pot, bring the oil to heat over a high flame. When it’s hot, add the cumin and garlic and fry for a few seconds until the garlic browns slightly.

Then mix in the tomatoes, sugar, chilli and coriander. Cook on a high flame, stirring every two minutes, for about 10 until the tomatoes disintegrate. In the meantime, soak the kasoori methi in a tiny cup with two tablespoons of hot water. This will help balance the sweet and spicy soup with its bitterness.

Then take the pan off the heat for a few seconds, stir in the methi and go in with a hand blender to puree all the contents. If you don’t have a hand blender, just wait for the contents to cool a bit and transfer them to a larger blender. If you don’t have any blenders, just pass the contents through a sieve or colander.

Add salt to taste and enjoy piping hot.

25 responses to “Tamatar Shorba, Mughlai-style Indian Tomato Soup”

1. Sia says:

Congrats Miss Masala πŸ˜€ I am so happy for u and looking forward to adding ur glossy book to my tiny cookbook collection πŸ™‚

2. kathryn says:

Congratulations Mallika, that’s great, great news. Well done you. And wow, it is a time of big news stories from you isn’t it!

Looking forward to hearing more about the adventures of Miss Masala.

3. indosungod says:

Congrats! Miss Masala I love the name. The soup looks superb. I started a piggy bank already πŸ™‚

4. Su-Lin says:

Congratulations! That’s very exciting news!

5. trupti says:

I am so happy to hear that! I can’t wait to read it now!!! Shorba looks grand…beautiful color, Mallika.

take care.

6. omg! congrats πŸ˜€ That is sooo sooo exciting πŸ™‚ Keep up posted, and I’m bookmarking this recipe. I love all variants on Tomato Soup πŸ™‚

7. Rashmi says:

Hurray! another happy news from your end! Many congratulations again
    Take care

8. Cindy says:

Fantastic, congratulations Mallika! Will you need any recipe testers? πŸ™‚

9. cassie says:

Mallika, what fabulous news! Congratulations! I look forward to it. πŸ™‚

Giving that beautiful tomato soup a bookmark as it sounds absolutely delicious!

10. sra says:

Wow! A book deal! Congratulations! Send the cartoonist a link to your video πŸ˜€

11. Asha says:

I always said you look as pretty as Bipasha Basu. Are they blind?! Or may be they are stereotyping all “Indian ladies”? πŸ˜›

Congratulations on both personal front, read your mail y’day, so so happy for you. Take care and enjoy the success. Hugs and God bless! :))

12. oh my goodness! two things in less than two months! congratulations. The baby is excited too, I am sure. I am really really happy for you. It seems like it’s long time in coming but glad that it’s here! When the book comes out, can I get a signed copy? πŸ™‚

13. Congrats Mallika!!! That is awesome! Somehow this news does not surprise me! πŸ™‚

14. Sonal says:

Congrats, Mallika!! That’s great news! And Miss Masala seems like such an appropriate name πŸ™‚

I second Cindy..do you need any recipe testers?

15. mandira says:

congrats Mallika, that’s wonderful news πŸ™‚ Looking forward to adventures of Miss Masala!

16. Bharti says:

Congrats Mallika..that’s wonderful..really happy for ya. The color of the shorba is beautiful.

17. Mona says:

Wow, Way to go girl! Congratulations!!!!!

18. Maninas says:

WOW fantastic news! Congratulations!
    I’m not too surprised, you know! I always thought you’re publishing material! πŸ˜€
    Let me know if you need any recipe testers! πŸ˜€

19. Krista says:

Wow. That is amazingly cool. Could you be any more boggged down with news? You know what they say… “Jamais deux sans trois!”

I wonder what the third thing will be?

20. Wendy says:

Oh, superb! If there was a blogger I’d want to write a book, it’d be you. Will be first on the pre-order form. xx

21. Mallika says:

Hola , Namesake ! Hooray for you and looking forward to the book πŸ™‚

22. Planethalder says:

Many congratulations, Mallika!!!!!

23. Shan says:

This is fantastic news! Am very happy for you as you’re one of my fave Indian food blogs πŸ™‚
    Can’t say I’m surprised that you’re going to be published as your writing is witty and entertaining too.

24. N+D says:

Oh wow, congratulations! Well, not so surprised, really, the blog is so nicely done and the recipes are right on the money. Now, will you take on Ramsay when you get your own show? We dare him to accept the challenge…