Curry with risotto

September 15, 2008

I went around the supermarket with a serious mission. This was Italian countryside. I was as far away from an Indian spice shop as an Eskimo in the Sahara desert.

Before I left I stuffed the desert island essentials of chilli powder, turmeric powder and asafoetida into my suitcase, mentally reminding myself never to make fun of travelling aunties again.

Four days I baked by the pool. Contemplating my big Tuscan curry effort, while our friends took it in turns to cook meals.

Soon it was mine. I found fennel seeds, cumin seeds, garlic and a pack plastered with the word “organic lentils” on it. So far so good. But no ginger.

This was a serious blow. But I ploughed ahead anyway. Hubby was tasked with chopping, washing and creating innovative implements to grind spices. Friends were banished from the kitchen unless collecting wine. I focused on making Moong dal-esque dal, Aubergine Raita and Pepper Chicken Curry.

In the stress of it all, I forgot rice. Sure enough, there was a large jar supplied in the villa. Of the well known Risotto family. Did I mention I was in Italy?

The meal was a success, despite the missing ginger and soggy rice. Which goes to show that if you care enough, you can always have a curry.

Comments

10 Responses to “If the spice is right”

July 9th, 2008 at 2:19 pm

Hey!! How can you not dance for us? May be Moroccan or even Bollywood style will do!;D

Morocco sounds great to me.I saw a show on Food Network channel had few weeks ago on Moroccan cuisine, wonderful Tajine and Couscous dishes! You must get one of those Tagines from there.I bought a teeny weeny Tagine here, still hasn’t used it.
    Have a great time, see you in September.I will let you know when I get my spanking new kitchen photo over there!:)

2. arundati Says:

July 10th, 2008 at 1:57 am

loved that bit about the half naked belly dancers after the couscous!! hope you had a wonderful time…..waiting to see what you will be cooking up!!

3. JennDZ_The LeftoverQueen Says:

July 10th, 2008 at 7:36 am

I am dying to go to Morocco. It is one on the top of my list of places I’d like to visit in the not too distant future. Sounds like fun! The best is being the bellydancer! ;)

4. mycookinghut Says:

July 10th, 2008 at 12:06 pm

I went to Marrakesh more than a year ago. I love Moroccan food. Tagines and Cous Cous… just so nice. I love their mint tea too!!

5. mycookinghut Says:

July 10th, 2008 at 12:08 pm

I was in Marrakesh more than a year ago and what else I could say but love Tajine and couscous. Love their mint tea too!!

6. Deeba Says:

July 10th, 2008 at 10:32 pm

Ooh how exotic. Morocco, Istanbul etc…all lands of my dreams, complete with spice markets! You must be GLAD to have gotten away for the hustle-bustle! Of course I am VERY envious of the saffron, spices etc Mallika…but will now wait to see a burst of yummies once you return. Have a great trip!!

7. Deeba Says:

July 10th, 2008 at 10:33 pm

BTW, forgot to ask you…did you eventually shake a limb?? LOL

8. Geoff Says:

July 11th, 2008 at 2:04 am

I went on the same trip and I too was amazed by the spice souks. Knowing little about spices I opted for a bag of ‘meat’ tagine mix and a bag of ‘fish’ tagine mix. Unfortunatly I couldn’t fit a tagine in my bag though!

Now they’re still sitting in the cubord unused. Any good recipies to try? I fancy getting a tagine, would it work on a hotplate? I.e. a rayburn.

July 11th, 2008 at 3:04 am

I was mercifully spared by the ladies. LOL.

Geoff – I figured I could simply use my pressure cooker. Just caramelise an onion, add two tsp of the powder, and 500gm of lamb. Then when the meat is soft, stir in a few olives or prunes. You need an intense steam on a medium flame so a hotplate wouldn’t really work.

10. Bharti Says: