Recipe

Perfect Saag Paneer

July 25, 2008

I rushed home with the ruby red gladioli for my mini dinner party.

The food was ready. I needed to grill aubergines for the raita. Ditch the dress and heels in favour of denim and flip flops. Then welcome my guests smile on face, vintage Bollinger in hand.

Of course, nothing is ever as simple.

I drained and shoved the sliced aubergines into the grill. The lamb curry was still partly frozen. Nowhere near ready to be reheated. Then my guests arrived. On time.

A few minutes of chit chat later, I led them into the kitchen.

By this time the aubergines were on fire. Dark clouds of black smoke had filled the kitchen. My guests sat amidst it all trying not to look alarmed, while I waved the tea towel in the air in a lame attempt to improve air circulation.

Some clever lady said “perfection is a road, not a destination”. How true.

And equally applicable to the Saag Paneer or Palak Paneer I cooked for them.

Not entirely satisfied with the recipe I posted on this site yonks ago, I tried my hand at it again. And if the guests were to be believed, this was the perfect saag paneer recipe. Simpler than the other recipe too.

Ingredients

• 4 garlic cloves
  • 1 inch ginger
  • Half tsp garam masala
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • Salt to taste

Method

Chop the block of paneer into even bite sized pieces. In a bowl, mix the paneer pieces with the turmeric, chilli powder and a teaspoon of salt and set aside.

Now, chop the onion roughly and mince or puree the ginger and garlic together. In a non-stick pot, bring the oil to heat over a high flame.

When it is hot, add in the paneer and fry on one side until golden brown and then flip over and repeat on the opposite side. Then remove it with a slotted spoon back into its bowl.

In the same oil, fry the onions, ginger and garlic next. When it starts going translucent, mix in the cumin and the chopped green chilli. Fry for about five minutes until the mixture turns a deep golden brown.

Now mix in the frozen spinach and let it cook for another five minutes. When it is thoroughly defrosted in the pot and mixed evenly with the masala, add half a cup of hot water and go in with a hand blender to liquidise the whole lot into a smooth, creamy mixture.

If you don’t have a hand blender, you could tip the spinach into a normal blender for the same result. When it is smooth and back in the pot, add in the fried paneer pieces and the garam masala. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes until the water dries up and the spices have penetrated the spinach thoroughly.

At this point, check for salt. You’ll need to add a fair bit to lift the spinach. But this dish is worth it. Eat it piping hot as a side dish or with some ready nan as a complete meal.

Comments

31 Responses to “Perfect Saag Paneer”

1. sra Says:

July 25th, 2008 at 5:14 am

Hey, nice and profound nugget – perfection a road, not a destination – and a good excuse too! ;)

2. paresh Says:

July 25th, 2008 at 6:49 am

mallika, nice heathy recipes. thanks for sharing.

3. Rashmi Says:

July 25th, 2008 at 7:37 am

No tomatoes, no cream ..I like this recipe!

4. Bharti Says:

July 25th, 2008 at 10:34 pm

OMG..good for you..I would’ve just ordered a pizza!

5. Christie @fig&cherry Says:

July 26th, 2008 at 2:46 am

So fresh and flavoursome! Can’t wait to give this a try.

6. notyet100 Says:

July 27th, 2008 at 10:49 am

looks yum,.:-)

7. divya and chaya Says:

July 27th, 2008 at 8:05 pm

hmm,delicious! will try this soon(:-)

8. JennDZ_The LeftoverQueen Says:

July 28th, 2008 at 8:19 am

I looks delicious Mallika! I think you handled the situation perfectly! This saag paneer looks awesome!

9. Meena Says:

July 28th, 2008 at 1:27 pm

Looks simply delish! I love the idea of using a hand blender right in the pan, saves on so much time.

10. Rashi Says:

July 30th, 2008 at 2:15 am

can i use fresh spinach instead of frozen spinach?

11. Rashi Says:

July 30th, 2008 at 2:16 am

can i use fresh spinach instead of frozen?

12. Tanya Says:

July 30th, 2008 at 5:50 am

I’ve been reading your posts for a while and quite like your flair for cooking and easy tips!

A small suggestion: Don’t fry the paneer… Cook it for a while in the spinach mix and then cover and simmer for a wee bit.. The paneer will melt in your mouth and would have absorbed the assorted flavours as well!

July 30th, 2008 at 9:41 am

Hi Tanya – lovely to hear from you! I’m not a big fan of frying myself but in this recipe it really helps to seal the paneer with the marinade spices and prevents it from falling apart in the spinach later. It will still melt in your mouth and absob all flavours – just be more pliable and better looking in the pan!

14. tbc Says:

July 30th, 2008 at 8:47 pm

Don’t you hate it when the guests are exactly on time?!

Saag Paneer looks great! I’ve only had this at restaurants.:-(

15. Quick Indian Cooking » Healing power of saag paneer Says:

August 1st, 2008 at 1:08 am

[…] = Check out this even simpler recipe if you’re seriously […]

16. Harsh Rana Says:

October 20th, 2008 at 1:41 pm

i finally made saag paneer.. and it was awesome!!

thanks mallika.. im proud of myself..haha.

17. julez Says:

February 24th, 2010 at 5:49 pm

great recipes with humour and a zest for life. thanks mallika

18. Tess Says:

June 22nd, 2010 at 2:38 am

I just tried this and I am waiting for the rice and naan to finish to go with it! I am so pleased because it tastes just like the Saag Paneer at the Indian restaurant where I work. To the people who asked if you could use fresh spinach, yes you can! Just add it gradually while constantly stirring it to get the volume down if you have a regular sized pot. Otherwise it will overflow. Thanks Mallika!

19. Tess Says:

June 22nd, 2010 at 2:40 am

Also, you can use garlic/ginger paste to substitute the chopped ginger and garlic.

20. Keith Harding Says:

January 5th, 2011 at 2:25 am

Brilliant – I received a copy of your book for Christmas and tried this recipe – really nice, Mallika.
    I’m wondering if the addition of a little cream or yoghurt to the spinach might be a plus?

January 5th, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Hi Keith – so thrilled it worked out! Go for Greek yoghurt if you must… nice and creamy but not as fatty as cream.

22. Lindzi Says:

January 22nd, 2011 at 8:37 pm

This is glorious! Perfect mix of spices, just the right amount of heat. I’m a massive fan of saag and have never made it before. Wow! Heaven. Thanks.

23. Lyle Says:

July 27th, 2011 at 1:46 am

I made paneer last night, for the first time, and now have to come up with something to have with it! Your recipe looks to be perfect for a first try at saag paneer, one of my most favorite Indian dishes. Thank you!

By the way, are guys allowed to purchase your cookbook? :-)

September 1st, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Ha ha yes Lyle… although you have to be able to deal with the unavoidable girly banter!!

25. Nancy Says:

February 2nd, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Made this last night. Yum! I added just a splash of lemon juice to brighten the flavour (my spices are old and need replacing.) Thanks!

26. Huffington Post, 11 Oct 2012 Says:

October 29th, 2012 at 3:46 pm

[…] Get the Saag Paneer recipe from Quick Indian Cooking […]

27. sumaN 4 rhitU Says:

October 30th, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Some time we add too much Red-Chilly-Powder in curry… by mistake; how is it possible to readjust the taste or is there any way to decrease this hot taste….

kindly help

28. Cheri Says:

December 7th, 2012 at 3:38 am

I just made this dish and it is the best Saag Paneer recipe I’ve found yet! Simple to do and so delish! I left out the finger chili and it was perfect alongside a spicy chicken tikka masala I also made. Thank you so much for posting this version of Saag Paneer!

29. Paul Says:

July 7th, 2014 at 2:11 am

Just made this tonight, came out very very nice… I might reduce the onions next time, but overall really enjoyed it… Thanks…

July 13th, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Hi paul, thanks a ton for letting me know x

31. Indian for Dinner | In Scott's Kitchen Says:

December 17th, 2014 at 3:27 am

[…] It lasts for months and along with frozen spinach, onions and spices I’ve got everything for Saag Paneer. I’ve made my own paneer before and it’s quite easy, but it’s even easier to leave a block in […]