Paneer Bhurji – Scrambled Paneer

July 1, 2008

Five consecutive late evenings and I needed to relocate my Karmic centre.

Off I went to the dreaded yoga class. Me in gym-friendly spandex amidst a sea of linen cotton.

An hour into the class the Irish sadhu instructor whispered, now you are going to do a shoulder stand. Stretch your legs to the heavens, then gently extend them sideways and take deep breaths.

I lay there twisted into an unrecognisable human tower. The blood rushed to my brain before I could say Dal Makhani. I. Felt. Empowered.

So I decided to master the wonderful world of the blogosphere. I finally worked out how to read all my favourite blogs in one go. This site is now complete with a super recipe index and snazzy food conversion calculators (in the toolbar) thanks to my blog and children’s storytelling supremo Hugh. And then, I found this fantastic resource, Foodari, that allows you to create your own cookbook online.

Feeling rather smug over the weekend, I made a fresh, healthy and blindingly simple Paneer Bhurji or Paneer crumble steeped in fresh tomatoes and coriander. Then, tried chappati making with renewed gusto. And finally, plate heaped with brunch, found my inner peace in front of the telly.

PS = It would come as no surprise to learn that I hard;ly ever make my own paneer or Indian cheese. Store bought is fine. I wouldn’t know the difference anyway.

Feeds 2:

• 250 gm Paneer or Indian cheese
  • 2 small tomatoes
  • 1 small onion
  • Quarter tsp turmeric powder
  • Half tsp chilli powder
  • 1 tsp whole cumin
  • 1 large bay leaf
  • 4-5 sprigs of fresh coriander
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • Salt to taste

Chop the onion, tomatoes and paneer into little pieces.

In a small saucepan, heat the oil over a high flame. When it is hot, add the cumin seeds and bay leaf. As they sizzle up, stir in the onions and tomatoes

Fry, stirring well for about five minutes. By this time the onions will be limp and the tomatoes disintegrated. Now mix in the turmeric and chilli powders and fry for another two minutes until the raw smell of the spices go.

Finally, stir in the paneer and mix thoroughly smashing it up with your spoon as you do to get a crumbly mixture. Add salt to taste, fresh coriander and eat hot while the paneer is soft and full of flavour.

20 Responses to “Paneer Bhurji – Scrambled Paneer”

1. Quest for Karma Says:

April 30th, 2013 at 7:45 am

[…] Hatha yoga: Proper yogi stuff. Wear white and be prepared to chant, stand still on one leg and sing in a strange language. Sanskrit, I think. More here […]

2. Home-Made Paneer « A Wee Bit of Cooking Says:

July 17th, 2008 at 2:07 pm

[…] above Paneer Bhujia one such recipe and it was heavenly.  Seriously, people: you must try […]

3. Wendy Says:

July 16th, 2008 at 8:20 am

Had this last night and it was incredible. Made fresh paneer for it and will blog about that soon with a link to this page. :)

4. Maninas Says:

July 5th, 2008 at 2:46 pm

Have a great holiday, darling! Will miss your posts, but I’m sure you’ll have plenty of great stories to share with us! :D Enjoy!

5. Bharti Says:

July 4th, 2008 at 9:06 pm

Thanks for posting the resources, am checking them out. Paneer looks yummy. I use store bought and home made- whichever is more convenient at that time.

6. Wendy Says:

July 4th, 2008 at 12:35 am

There’s not exactly a plethora of Asian food stores in Inverness. The only paneer I can buy here is the supermarket rubbery stuff with the scarily long shelf life. Promise! you’d know the difference.
    This looks so lovely I’ll just have to make some paneer. :)

7. Jyothsna Says:

July 2nd, 2008 at 11:20 pm

You are witty! :)And a nice paneer dish.

8. kathryn Says:

July 2nd, 2008 at 11:02 pm

Oh my, oh my Mallika. What a delicious looking recipe that is.

I wouldn’t make paneer either . . . instead I get Richard to do it!

9. Rashmi Says:

July 2nd, 2008 at 7:18 pm

oops..that was an emoticon that did not show!

10. Rashmi Says:

July 2nd, 2008 at 7:18 pm

Five days into the class, and you are doing the shoulder stand^:)^ !
    For a vegetarian like me, Paneer is nirvana!

11. How to keep track of your favourite blogs - Feeds! « Maninas: Food Matters Says:

July 2nd, 2008 at 9:41 am

[…] the blog? In case you already know, good for you! In case you don’t, then read on! I saw this post at Mallika’s, which made me share my experiences with all of you. This will be a very handy tip for you […]

12. Maninas Says:

July 2nd, 2008 at 9:27 am

Hi Mallika.

I use RSS and other feeds to check out my favourite blogs. it’s super easy. have a look at the top right corner of your browser if using internet explorer. see the small orange square next to the printer icon? click on it, and it will get you to the feed of the blog/page you’re on. towards the top of the page, there will be a link saying sth like ‘subscribe to this feed’. click on it. it will ask you how to save it. now this works a bit like favourites. in fact, you’ll find the feeds you saved next to your favourites. anyhow, add a folder to it if you wish, name it, and save it.

and this is how you get to it. now look to the left hand corner and find the star icon (the favourites are here, too). again, click on the little orange square, and this will take you to your saved feeds. when there’s a new post on the page you’re reading, it will show in bold.

that’s it! easy-peasy, and it’s in your browser. the only downside is that it’s on your computer only. i like it because all the feeds are there together, and i don’t even need to visit another webpage.

13. Sonal Says:

July 2nd, 2008 at 9:17 am

Nice one..Mallika. I love paneer and the one time I tried making it myself (low fat, of course) and tried it with fat-free milk (bad idea!!), it was a big flop :-) So, the store one works awesomely well for me too! :-)

14. JennDZ_The LeftoverQueen Says:

July 2nd, 2008 at 7:33 am

Sounds great – the food and the Yoga…I do miss Yoga, but at least I get in daily meditation! :) Half the battle!

July 2nd, 2008 at 5:43 am

LOL @ “Me in gym-friendly spandex amidst a sea of linen cotton” What were you thinking? ;D
    But for head stand and all that, spandex is better, don’t you think? Less “exposure” for doin “Y”! HeHe!
    I made Paneer at home twice, that’s it, buy them now, it’s fine! Paneer Bhurji/dish looks great!:)
    You never had Google Reader until now? I am surprised, glad you got it now. I LOVE reader, my life line!:P
    Online book maker!! Thanks!:))

16. Eeshani Says:

July 1st, 2008 at 10:47 pm

That looks great. Would you suggest adding hing ?

17. dollybasu Says:

July 1st, 2008 at 6:37 pm

u r just too funny. ha ha ha keep it up

18. Deepa Says:

July 1st, 2008 at 3:06 pm

That was a great read. –Deepa

19. Vegeyum Ganga Says:

July 1st, 2008 at 2:53 pm

he he he. I love the thought of the human tower. I know what you mean. How are you finding the google reader? I might convert if it is good.

I do make my own paneer. Not that it is any cheaper than buying it, but I love the whole process. And I think it tastes better than store bought, or maybe tastes different, rather than better. Your bhujia sounds wonderful, especially for inner peace. :-)

20. Lekhni Says:

July 1st, 2008 at 2:21 pm

I agree, store bought stuff works perfectly for me too. Except, the Indian store is quite a hike, so I am always looking to see if there are mainstream alternatives!