Recipe

Masala Matar – Spiced Peas

I woke up with a splitting headache in Sussex countryside. That’s what living in central London gives you – a severe allergy to fresh air.

Sunday, I am told, is car boot sales day in the countryside. When one person’s clutter turns into another person’s treasure. No harm in getting stuck in for some new kitchen goodies, I thought.

Half an hour of sifting through dusty rubbish later, I came across a sweet square dish and inquired about its price.

10p”, said the seller.

Not used to penny bargains, I blurted out: “Are you sure?”

To which he replied incredulously: “You want to pay more for that?”

I scurried off with the bowl and wondered what I would fill it with later. A morning at the car boot sale followed by a two-hour journey home meant no time to go food shopping. I would have to discover an old treasure in my crowded freezer.

Masala Matar – sauteed spiced green peas – came to mind. Made with a bag of fresh frozen peas, this was the perfect side for our rump steak and sauteed potato dinner. Equally delicious with an Indian meal too.

Ingredients

Feeds 2:

• 250gm fresh frozen green peas
  • 1 tsp whole cumin
  • Half inch fresh ginger
  • Pinch asafoetida
  • Quarter tsp chilli powder
  • 2 whole green chillies
  • 1 tsp sunflower oil
  • Salt to taste

Method

Heat the oil in a frying pan and grate the ginger. When the oil is sizzling hot add the asafoetida, the whole cumin and the grated ginger.

Fry for about a minute until the ginger goes pale brown. Then stir in the frozen peas with the green chillies, red chilli powder and salt. Stir for two to three minutes until the peas are cooked and the water in the pan has evaporated.

Serve hot or cold as a side dish.

Comments

15 Responses to “Masala Matar – Spiced Peas”

1. mystic Says:

June 16th, 2008 at 5:11 pm

Perfect side dish or snack I think. And I love the square dish! I can’t believe you got it only for 10p. Great find.

2. Maninas Says:

June 17th, 2008 at 5:45 am

mmm this sounds gorgeous! I love the spice combo! will definitely give it a go!

3. sia Says:

June 17th, 2008 at 6:10 am

LOL Mallika… i am telling u this again “u r really funny” and that should be taken as compliment ;)
    10p for that beauty? cool… reminds me its high time i went for some car boot sale :) and fresh mint sautee looks d-lish :D

4. JennDZ_The LeftoverQ Says:

June 17th, 2008 at 6:31 am

That sounds delicious! Congrats on your latest acquisition! ;)

5. sra Says:

June 17th, 2008 at 6:52 am

Ha ha! I can identify with being astounded at something that’s so inexpensive. And the peas look just like what we were used to as kids!

6. Deepa Says:

June 17th, 2008 at 7:34 am

My son loves peas, so this’ll work beautifully. Maybe we could do this with carrots, corn, etc, as well. –Deepa

7. Sonal Says:

June 17th, 2008 at 12:10 pm

Nice dish…in multiple ways :-) I wish my hubby would let me buy stuff at garage sales :-)

8. Jared Says:

June 17th, 2008 at 8:13 pm

Sounds like a great recipe for peas. Frozen peas are surprisingly good and much easier to come by than fresh peas. I look forward to giving this a try.

9. Rashmi Says:

June 17th, 2008 at 11:09 pm

A pretty dish for 10p and a yummy side in 5 minutes! Rocking!

June 18th, 2008 at 5:04 am

Going “cold Turkey” form breathing bad air everyday! ;D

10p!! Aren’t you lucky? I pay $7 for that here. Peas looks yum. 5 mins to make is even cooler!:)

That goodie I have this week at FH takes 3 hrs to make!!;p

June 18th, 2008 at 7:56 am

Hilarious – to think dear namesake , that you’d even question a bargain ?! the peas look yummy -sadly though no fresh peas available now so shall have to make the dish with frozen ones .
    I’m still laughing , mind you!

12. Vegeyum Ganga Says:

June 21st, 2008 at 2:10 pm

The dish is perfect. And so wonderful with peas. What great inspiration you had. Isn’t it wonderful to make such finds. Recently I found some dishes for 75c for the set. :-)

13. notyet100 Says:

June 21st, 2008 at 8:30 pm

even ilike green peas,,this recipe sure rocks…waitin for ur tehari post…:-)

14. Rashmi Says:

June 22nd, 2008 at 8:22 am

A little award for you on my blog! Keep writing:)

15. foodiefriend Says:

June 22nd, 2008 at 9:10 pm

Great snack!
    Would go rocking with bhajias and farsan!
    Happy blogging!