Comforting Bengali Khichuri

June 13, 2008

My friend said it was like Sex and the City, but better and set in a Beirut beauty salon.

We weren’t disappointed. Throughout the stunningly shot, golden caramel feast, we sobbed into a carton of sweet popcorn. Mulling over the power of friendships and collective wisdom, even in the most unlikely of settings.

I desperately wanted to recreate that feeling of a giant hug at home. In a large aluminum pot.

It had to be Khichuri, a comforting rice and lentil dish that is the Indian equivalent of Risotto. The word literally means mixture and is also known by other variations like khichdi.

The principle is simple. You boil rice and lentils together. Add in vegetables of your choice, a few select spices and serve piping hot with fried stuff, yogurt and pickle for serious satisfaction.

While on the subject of friendships in the most unlikely of places. This is part of my contribution to fellow blogger Bri who is very sick and who bloggers are uniting to provide medical help. This is my entry to the special yellow-themed food photography event being hosted by Bee.

Feeds 4:

• 120gm Raw Basmati rice
  • 120gm Yellow moong dal
  • 1 carrot
  • 2 new potatoes
  • Handful of peas
  • 1 small onion
  • 2 green finger chillies
  • Half tsp each of turmeric, chilli, cumin and coriander powders
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 green cardamoms
  • 1 inch cinnamon
  • Half tsp sugar
  • 1 tbsp ghee
  • Salt to taste

Wash the moong dal until water runs clean. Then separately repeat the process with the rice.

Bring a large aluminium pot to heat over a high flame for 30 seconds. Then add the lentils and dry roast for two minutes until a gorgeous aroma escapes the pan. Now, add the rice, three cups of boiling water and leave uncovered to cook for 10 minutes.

In the meantime, peel and chop the carrots, quarter the potatoes, and chop the onions. When the 10 minutes are up, stir in the vegetables and all the spice powders. Also add salt and the sugar.

By this time, the rice and lentil will be half cooked. Keep it cooking covered for another 10 minutes. You may need to add another cup of water to make sure the consistency is runny.

As the cooking time is coming up, heat the ghee over a high flame in a small frying pan. When it starts sizzling, add the whole spices and let them splutter for a few seconds.

Finally, mix this tadka (or sambhar as Bengalis call it) into the Khichdi and serve.

12 Responses to “Comforting Bengali Khichuri”

1. Lowell Tarkenton Says:

June 12th, 2010 at 9:22 am

Thanks for the posts. I bookmarked this and will be returning! Good job.

2. bee Says:

June 27th, 2008 at 8:12 pm

thanks for your support and your entry, dear mallika.

3. Bharti Says:

June 23rd, 2008 at 7:22 pm

Hey there
    First on your blog, checking it out. Interesting stuff here and I especially like the part about “eating a shoe rather than making a samosa from scratch”. too!

June 18th, 2008 at 8:06 am

Its raining in Kolkata , and what better food than khichuri and ilish maachh bhaja :)

5. maninas Says:

June 17th, 2008 at 3:25 pm

Thanks v much for the reply! HUG
    now things are much much clearer! :D

6. mac Says:

June 17th, 2008 at 4:14 am

This food is so delicious.
    You must give instructions about such different recipe.
    What is the best side dish for this?
    Compare Prices & Save on Kitchenware

7. Deepa Says:

June 16th, 2008 at 3:02 pm

Isn’t khichdi amazing? Yellow Moong dal tastes wonderful in any form – so mild and comforting. I am going to watch the “satc” movie tonight. Not a great fan of the show, but feel compelled to watch the movie. You know what I think – you ould start a movie discussion group section on your blog site somewhere. Would be fun!

8. JennDZ_The LeftoverQ Says:

June 16th, 2008 at 8:59 am

Thanks for the great recommendation! I will add it to my list! Thanks also for posting about Bri! I think it is great the way the blogging community is coming together!

9. Wendy Says:

June 15th, 2008 at 11:40 am

What a coincidence. I made kedgeree last night and it was lovely. Read in Larousse that it was based on an Indian vegetarian dish called khichdi. Was intending on hunting for a recipe and now I don’t need to. Thank you!

10. Maninas Says:

June 14th, 2008 at 3:54 pm

aha – kichuri – excellent! I’ve been wanting to make one! Ta!

Two questions though: what is _raw_ basmati rice? And what is Yellow mung dal – another type of mung bean, apart from the usual green kind? Many thanks!

11. foodiefriend Says:

June 14th, 2008 at 12:24 pm

Looks great! Must be yummy in taste too….
    Nice blog for newbies in cooking….(would definitely help me in my quest to explore cooking!)
    Happy blogging!

June 13th, 2008 at 6:39 am

YUMYY! I have a Kichuri in draft too. Looks great Mallika, eating this better than Sex and the city if you ask me! :D
    Enjoy your weekend.