Teatime Cheese Bonda

Mallika Basu - Teatime Cheese Bonda

Posted 3rd June 2008

It hasn’t been all frilly frocks and silly shoes. I’ve had bigger, more important things on my mind.

Like food wastage. Is it just me or is there a lot being written about it lately?

I’ve been gripped because I care deeply about food wastage. But both time and my brain cells fail occasionally. And there is a point of no return when it comes to even the best of ingredients.

So when I got back from work and opened the fridge to rescue the soon to go green rump steak, the leftover cheese and white bread stared right back at me. I was racked with guilt.

Shoving the steak in the oven to slow roast, I poured myself a G&T and got work on an old recipe from my maternal granny – Cheese Bonda. I virtually grew up on this teatime snack of chilli cheese and bread bites, which are filling and wonderfully addictive.

Also shallow fried. But what’s a few tablespoons of oil when you’re saving the world by default?

If that’s not enough try a simple pulao, vegetable sabzi or a great big curry that you can enjoy even more a day later.

Feeds 3-4:

10 slices of white bread

100 gm medium cheddar cheese

3 green chillies, chopped

1 small onion, chopped

1 egg

2 tbsp plain white flour

6 tbsp sunflower oil

Salt to taste

Slice the crusts off the white bread. In a large mixing bowl, grate the cheese. Add the bread, chillies and onions.

Wet your hand well and squeeze the mixture together, repeating the process until you get a smooth and hard dough. Shape into a large sausage and break into eight equal pieces. With your hands, roll into little sausages/croquettes and lay on the edges of a plate.

Beat the egg in a small bowl and add the flour to the centre of the plate. Now bring the oil to heat over a high flame.

Finally, roll each little bite into the flour, then dip evenly in the egg and fry in two batches until golden brown all over. Serve with ketchup and eat hot, hot, hot.

26 responses to “Teatime Cheese Bonda”

1. Srivalli says:

now that looks real tempting!…whatever you say this looks sheer sinfully delicious!..no leftovers or what..I am going to make this…yes I too remember growing up on this..funny how we forget few things..thanks!

2. Trupti says:

That is EXACTLY what I need to make for the kiddos….I have lots of leftover bread rolls and some mexican cheese just meditating in the fridge, thanks for this idea, Mallika. 😉

3. sia says:

But what’s a few tablespoons of oil when you’re saving the world by default?
    LOL mallika… u had me in splits 🙂

4. arundathi says:

That sounds fabulous, Mallika – chilli cheese rolls! Mmmm. I wonder if I can bake these? I’ve never deep fried!

5. sushma says:

Mallikka.. bread and cheeese wth those nice maslas stuffed luks so yummy

6. ranji says:

that really looks tasty!!!..great starters in any party…

7. nandita says:

So true about the food wastage, luckily it’s been bred into us on how to make optimum use of food and ingredients, so while the world seems to talking non-stop about this latest ‘revolution’ we sit and think – ‘but we were always like this’
    Love your cheesy bread rolls, it doesn’t get homlier and cozier than this…perfect when the rains start of in Bombay – will remember this then 🙂

8. Sonal says:

Ooh…sounds really fattening, but delicious! 🙂

I do agree with you wholeheartedly about the food wastage issue..It was drilled into me as a child that I should only serve myself as much ketchup as I would actually eat! 🙂

9. Pooja V says:

This is the first time I have seen these :). Loved them.

10. bhags says:

Nice recipe to save the world…:P
    They can be shallow fried also, cant they….

11. coffee says:

beautiful!! my fav snack!!

12. Mallika says:

Thanks ladies. These are actually shallow fried, but I recommend a certain amount of oil because the eggy edges need to cook properly.

13. Fauzia says:

This recipe really brings back memories. My grandmother used to make rolls like these, except she would use canned salmon instead of cheese.

14. Obviously this is something very near and dear to me as well! 🙂 (thanks for the shout out too!)
    I think you made great use of those leftovers! Yumm!

15. Asha says:

That’s fab looking snack. I hate wastage too. As a result, everyday lunch is y’day’s leftover for me!:P
    This is a great way to rescue, good one. Have a great weekend.Temp tomorrow here is 99F! Yikes!

16. Mallika says:

yummy – should be good in the rains – its raining in Kolkata now 🙂

17. vanamala says:

Nice blog..
    Lovely tempting cheese rolls…..I will try this ASAP:)

18. […] souls often feel guilty about wasting food. Guys, your instinct is correct – those scraps are meant to be put to good […]

19. notyet100 says:

this looksdelicious,..willsure try

20. Jenny says:

Those look fantastic – I will try them the next time some bread calls for rescue!

21. nags says:

just saw that you have linked to my simple vegetable rice 🙂 thanks a ton for visiting me. i have u in my reader and have been a reader for a long while now, just never realised u knew i existed 🙂

22. Archana says:

Hi first time to you site. But what’s a few tablespoons of oil when you’re saving the world by default? Put me in splits of laughter :). Lovely recipe. I has browsing for healthy snacks for my sons birthday party and happened to land at this recipe LOL. Nevertheless, will remember this clear cut recipe for a rainy day

23. dolly says:

hi i came through this website a few days ago by chance n become a fan of it…ur recipes sound so amazing,tasty n easy too…i tried these little savoury cheesy bites for a dinner party n they came out so amazing…they were a real hit…now i’ll always look for the excuse to make them..n definitely will try other recipes too..thanks for such a great recipe.

24. dolly says:

and i forgot something to tell u…me n my family all are pure vegetarians so i made a little change to the batter for coating..i mixed a bit of baking powder n baking soda in all purpose flour n dip the bites in it…but i struggled for the finishing..can u guide me for it…n also the batter..how thick it should be?pls reply

25. Mona says:

What happens if one were to use health multigrain bread instead. just to avoid buying a loaf of white bread and then after using a few slices have the leftover white slices sitting in the fridge?

26. Mallika says:

Hi Mona, great idea! In fact, I’ve been meaning to try this with the seeded bread I buy too. Let me know what you think.