Aloo Kadhi

November 15, 2007

Diwali came and went with a bang. My guests set off fireworks, smashed every single wine glass to smithereens and left pools of candle wax everywhere.

They also left behind a considerable amount of food.

After all, I plan party food quantities like every good Indian girl. I count how many people are coming. Double the number, add 10, then another 10. Just in case.

No wonder I eat leftover party food for days after.

Aloo kadhi it was for one whole week. Cubes of new potatoes cooked in a light, spicy yogurt and gram flour curry. A staple back home on Diwali.

At first I enjoyed its light texture, depth of subtle masalas, etc etc etc. Then I ate it for lunch and dinner. With rice. Roti. Even salad. For three days. By the fourth, I was recoiling at the horror of the bottomless buttercup yellow curry.

By God, these were persistent potatoes.

Interestingly, they tasted better as we went along. As I grazed the bottom of the Tupperware container, the yogurt had just the right blend of sweet and sour that I remembered back home.

Which makes this dish not only delicious but also a perfect party choice for overzealous domestic types like me. I might wait the full 360 days until Diwali 2008 to cook it again though…

Feeds 4 – 6:

• 2 cups natural low fat yogurt (about 500 gm)
  • 1 cup cold water
  • Half cup gram flour
  • 500 gm small new potatoes, quartered
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • 2 sprigs of curry leaves
  • Half tsp chilli powder
  • 1.5 teaspoon turmeric powder
  • Quarter tsp asafoetida (hing)
  • Half tsp fennel seeds
  • 1 whole red chilli
  • Half tsp white sugar
  • 1 tbsp sunflower oil

Bring the potatoes to boil in a large pan of cold water. When you can insert a fork through them with a little bit of effort, drain and set aside.

In a large bowl, mix the yogurt, water and gram flour together. You want to whisk it well so that there are no little lumps in the gram flour. I find the quickest way to do this is to whisk the mixture for a minute and then run it through a sieve, into the pan containing the potatoes.

Bring the oil to heat in a small frying pan over a high flame. When it is hot add the asafoetida. As it sizzles up add the whole chilli, then mustard seeds, fennel seeds and finally the curry leaves, chilli powder, turmeric powder and sugar.

Take the pan off the flame in two minutes and mix it into the potato and yogurt mixture.

When you are ready to eat, place the potato curry pan over a medium heat and stir slowly until the yogurt is heated through and you can’t taste the raw gram flour. This takes about 10 minutes. If the yogurt starts splitting, take the pan off the flame and lower the heat slightly.

Finish by adding salt to taste and enjoy for days.

18 Responses to “Aloo Kadhi”

1. Premi Says:

January 27th, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Hellooo Mallika! What a God-send ur site is! Just discovered it yday!!!!!! Im a big fan and Im gonna try this for dinner with rotis tonight! Ur recipes are so so simple and so Indian.. everything looks yum.. Tx!

2. Heguiberto Says:

March 4th, 2011 at 12:37 am

This looks delish! I am going to try reproducing it at home. I like your recipes, they are simple to make :)

3. WildKid Says:

November 27th, 2007 at 3:10 am

Really good and really interesting post. I expect (and other readers maybe :)) new useful posts from you!
    Good luck and successes in blogging!

4. Modern prawns for Christmas snacking at Quick Indian Cooking Says:

November 20th, 2007 at 9:12 am

[…] Getting Started « Post Diwali persistent potatoes […]

November 19th, 2007 at 10:35 am

Hi Chris

Half a teaspoon of plain white sugar will do just fine. Sorry about this. I blame my small brain!!

6. Chris Says:

November 18th, 2007 at 7:03 pm

Instructions mention adding sugar to the oil, but there’s no mention of sugar in the ingredients. How much sugar and what sort (white/brown/jaggery) would you recommend?

Looking forward to trying this.

November 18th, 2007 at 12:13 pm

Thanks all. Erin – of course you can. Just reheat on a very slow flame or the yogurt will split and it’ll all be one big mess!!

8. TBC Says:

November 17th, 2007 at 7:50 pm

The pic is so beautiful! Never tried a kadhi with aloo before.

9. sandeepa Says:

November 16th, 2007 at 7:29 am

The pic is bright and sunny…I love Kadhi

10. Padmaja Says:

November 16th, 2007 at 7:29 am

Mallika that picture is simple amazing!!! I know leftovers can be relished for a day or two after that its such a pain!! love reading your post!!!
    Never tried this recipe!!

11. sia Says:

November 16th, 2007 at 4:48 am

what??? u had too much of leftover??? why didn’t u ring me then?
    gorgeous pic mallika.. i am kind of partial to yellow colour ;)

12. arundati Says:

November 16th, 2007 at 2:46 am

the pic looks fabulous but i could’nt help smiling when i read about the leftovers!! at home my mom was called recycle rani, for when we refused to eat any more of the leftovers, they would get a makeover and make a re-entry onto the table…i guess its in the genes, cos i subscribe to the same thing now as an adult!! love kadhi, which khichadi, roti and plain white rice……………

13. RedChillies Says:

November 15th, 2007 at 9:54 pm

Looks lovely. I need to try potatoes, gram flour and yogurt combination!

14. Erin Says:

November 15th, 2007 at 8:58 pm

This looks great! Can you make everything beforehand and refrigerate until you’re ready to do the final heating step?

15. Simple Indian Food Says:

November 15th, 2007 at 6:43 pm

I like kadhi a lot and regd potatoes..i can eat it any number of times a day..had i been ur neighbour, more than half of these would have been taken away by me

16. Meena Says:

November 15th, 2007 at 2:05 pm

hahah!! I know just what you mean about the leftover party food – my leftover Diwali dinner is all packed and sitting in the freezer for when I’m in no mood to cook! I absolutely LOVE Kadhi, and if it’s been lying around for more than a day, then I just can’t help myself. It always tastes better the next day!!

Seasons greetings to you and your family! :)

17. Maninas Says:

November 15th, 2007 at 1:33 pm

Gorgeous photo. The softness in the photo goes with the subtleness of the spicing

November 15th, 2007 at 11:12 am

I love Kadhi, older the better!:D
    I add Spinach, gives it great texture and color. Looks good there , gloden delicious! Enjoy.