Recipe

Parsi Classic Jardaloo Salli Boti

October 31, 2007

Sniff sniff. Sob sob. I have been ill.

Divine retribution. Poetic justice. Having made fun of my man I was now at the mercy of his creative cooking, i.e. pesto pasta and spaghetti bolognese.

By last night, I was feeling better. And a little desperate. My throat was dry, my eyes like slits and my hands quivering. I… needed… a… masala… fix… BADLY.

I settled on a pressure cooked Parsi lamb curry with apricots, Jardaloo Salli Boti. Mother left me the recipe for this rich, sweet and sour curry in Summer and I kept it safe until the weather turned cooler.

But hubby was not quite ready to relinquish control of the kitchen, yet. He watched my every move, insisting the lamb wasn’t ready until it had dissolved into the curry, shaking the pressure cooker while its lid was on, throwing in extra apricots and whacking the flame up pointlessly when I wasn’t looking.

Did anyone say relapse?

Thankfully, the pressure cooker meant the lamb curry took 45 minutes to make. Hubby wolfed down his whole plate in seconds insisting it was “perfect for his palate” and “the lamb could have fallen off the bone more”.

I better recover soon. There ain’t no room for another cook in my kitchen…

Ingredients

• 3 drops of worcestershire sauce
  • 1 large potato, peeled and cut into thin strips
  • 4 tbsp sunflower oil
  • Salt to taste

Method

apricotslamb.jpg

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius or gas mark 6. Place the three whole spices on a baking tray and dry roast untilt the green cardamoms turn pale brown.

In a small food processor or blender, grind the whole spices together with the ginger, garlic and a tablespoon of water.

Leave the oven on. Bring a large pan/pressure cooker (at least 5l) with three tablespoons of oil to heat over a high flame.

When the oil is hot, add the onions and fry for about five minutes until they turn pale caramel. Then add the spice paste and stir for another five minutes until the onions soften.

If the paste starts getting stuck to the bottom of the pan, add a little hot water and scrape it off.

Now add the spice powders, the lamb shanks and the tomatoes, and stir like mad for 10 minutes. Add salt according to taste, submerge in hot water and either leave to cook on a medium flame covered for an hour and a half, or in a pressure cooker for 25 minutes after the first whistle.

In the meantime, coat the sliced potatos with one tablespoon of oil, some salt and bake in the oven for about 25 minutes, flipping over mid way. Remove from the oven as soon as they are done, to prevent them from going soggy. You could just use readymade oven chips, but this was so simple and satisfying.

When the lamb is cooked, sprinkle the sugar, the worcestershire sauce and the apricots into the curry. It should be rich and thick, so do add a bit of water if it is too dry.

To serve, spoon a lamb shank onto a plate. Serve some potato chips and brown basmati rice on the side. Then sit back and recover.

Comments

16 Responses to “Parsi Classic Jardaloo Salli Boti”

1. Rajitha Says:

October 31st, 2007 at 8:15 am

ha ha ..it is hard to give up control..worse to take it back!!

2. sia Says:

October 31st, 2007 at 8:47 am

awwww mallika dear, get well soon. if not for urself then for ur poor kitchen ;) (ok, i am not gonna tease u till u recover well )

3. sandeepa Says:

October 31st, 2007 at 9:07 am

This one is so so good…..sure to make you feel better. Where is the Post title ?

October 31st, 2007 at 9:32 am

Why not let him feed you girl? You don’t have to do anything but rest!:D
    Looks great though, I am salivating! Happy Halloween and feel better soon. Hugs!:))

5. Happy cook Says:

October 31st, 2007 at 11:28 am

I second that. I too like my kitchen to myself. I trow my hubby out when he come in to take over.
    Love the lamb dish. The meat must have been really soft. YUM

October 31st, 2007 at 1:18 pm

Thanks ladies and ugh – I totally forgot to give the post a title. This is how sick I am, see???

7. Maninas Says:

November 1st, 2007 at 7:07 am

I like being papmered and cooked for… :) but that’s because I know I can trust my husband in the kitchen :) not to make me a curry [sigh] or some cookies [double sigh] but with pretty much anything else!

btw, i _love_ this recipe! It’s a shame I have no lamb at home. I know chicken is never a substitue for lamb, but do you think this would work with chicken, too? Thanks!

8. Maninas Says:

November 1st, 2007 at 7:08 am

get well soon!
    btw, i have a cold and feel pretty rotten myself, too… aarrgh i hate this!

November 1st, 2007 at 7:54 am

Hi maninas, of course it would work with chicken. It won’t be as good as lamb, but it’ll be good nonetheless. Hope you feel better soon!

10. Mona Says:

November 2nd, 2007 at 8:18 am

Hi Mallika! How are you doing now? Well, the pic is so mouthwatering!! I never had a sweet and sour meat curry anytime! Now tat i have ur recipe, i’ll try it sometime though. Thanks dear, and get well soon ! :-)

11. Maninas Says:

November 2nd, 2007 at 2:13 pm

Just made your curry!

In short, we licked the plates clean, and then we fought our way to the kitchen as to who is going to lick the pan! :D

12. Radman Says:

November 5th, 2007 at 12:31 pm

This looks fabulous. My favorite indian restaurant in DC is Rasika. During their winter menu, they produce a lamb shank that is very similar to your offering.

13. Blog Tasting « Maninas: Food Matters Says:

December 3rd, 2007 at 3:01 pm

[…] Parsee Lamb Curry with Apricots […]

14. Parsing Curries « Monkey In a Suit Says:

July 17th, 2008 at 12:40 pm

[…] about blogtheft in my last post, I want to take a moment to credit the individual whose recipe served as the starting point for the one I’ve written up for you below. You may even like […]

15. Suk Says:

August 28th, 2010 at 6:18 am

Love this recipe! i have made it a few times now.
    i substitute the potatoes with chickpeas, goes just as well!

16. Amber Says:

June 26th, 2011 at 4:32 pm

hi, I just tried this and unfortunately when i took the lid off the pressure cooker it was just swimming in water. I topped up the water before cooking to submerge the shanks – did I put too much in? The meat came out as boiled and no masala at all as it was too watery to even reduce down. Very disappointing. Any tips? thanks.x