Masala fish: Real, real life cooking

September 6, 2007

masala-fish.jpgI am astounded by the BBC’s double standards.

First, they get one of the most glamorous celebrity chefs to front a new programme on real-life cooking, forcing the wealthy advertising mogul’s wife to sack her housekeeper and do her own laundry.

As if this wasn’t bad enough, she also has to travel to the supermarket to do her own food shopping. Thank god for taxis and the upmarket Waitrose.

And then there’s the outrageous menu.

While the British Government peddles fears about an obesity crisis, we are lovingly shown how to create deep-fried suppers with garlic mayonnaise and a heavy mustard cream sauce to accompany pan-fried pork chops.

As the cream submerged the meat, the presenter sultrily said “comforting, elegant and easy”. Fattening came to mind.

What a disservice courtesy the nation’s public service broadcaster!

Here are my thoughts for the BBC’s future cooking programming: Real life cooking is done by real life people, who:

• Have full-time jobs, unpaid at home and paid at work, both exhausting
  • Take public transport to food shops or drive – both are fraught with difficulty
  • Are increasingly worrying about their diets and meals

I switched the programme off when the caramel croissant pudding was flagged up and made masala fish for dinner.

It takes 20 minutes to prepare and you can eat it with any vegetables or a salad. Real life cooking by a really normal person.

This recipes serves 2:

2 skinless and boneless fish fillets (I used salmon)

Juice of half a lemon

1 tsp chilli powder

1 tsp turmeric powder

Salt to taste

1 tsp butter (I used margarine that tastes like butter)

Turn the grill on to preheat it to a medium heat. In a little bowl combine the lemon juice, salt, turmeric and chilli powders to make a strong marinade.

Line a baking tray with kitchen foil and place the fish fillets on top. Drizzle the marinade all over and leave to rest for five minutes.

Then put half a teaspoon of butter on each fillet and place the baking tray under the grill for 10-12 minutes until the fish is cooked through but still moist.

I ate this with the jeera aloo I made earlier.

17 Responses to “Masala fish: Real, real life cooking”

1. Shammi Says:

September 6th, 2007 at 7:57 am

Yeah, always irritates me how the celeb chefs on cookery shows blithely use utensils and pans and things right left and centre, in the certain knowledge that THEY wont be doing any cleaning up! :)

2. bee Says:

September 6th, 2007 at 8:28 am

celebrity cooking is as far from reality as you can imagine. the 30-minute crap that rachael ray dishes out in the u.s. takes an hour and a half with prep and cleanup and tastes like shyte. atleast nigella’s food tastes good, i’m hoping.

3. sia Says:

September 6th, 2007 at 8:53 am

LOL mallika… thats exactly the things i was thinking of when i saw her deep fry.. what a fattening things she was whipping. did u watch indian cooking made easy? what a joke it was… i am still unable to understand why i continue to watch this S%$&*^ program!!! i wonder…

September 6th, 2007 at 8:55 am

NEVER trust a skinny cook!:D
    One girl on FoodTV here puts food in her mouth and says “Mmm!!” and the camera goes off to ad.I have never seen her swallow!
    Other one says “Mmm!!”, BEFORE the food goes in her mouth! OYY!!:D
    Masla fish looks yum! Simple and healthy.

5. jennDZ - The LeftoverQueen Says:

September 7th, 2007 at 4:33 am

You just totally crack me up Mallika! I love this fish recipe. Sounds divine!

6. Happy cook Says:

September 7th, 2007 at 5:20 am

Yeah i do agree with you.
    I watches last monday Nigelias Express, i wanted to go to the tv and five her a bask smilling all the way throught the programme.
    I was telling to myself if i get paid so much i would be also smiling the whole programme
    Great recipe

7. Catching the monkey with spinach bhaji at Quick Indian Cooking Says:

September 7th, 2007 at 6:06 am

[…] Getting Started « Masala fish: Real, real life cooking […]

8. [[..nafesa..]] Says:

September 11th, 2007 at 12:30 pm

heyaa doin dis competition fing ryte n im trynaa owta ya masala recipe 4 ih..ih lukz soo gud n juz d ryte wann..fankz 4 makin suchaa delicious recipeee..x

9. Jacqueline Says:

September 19th, 2007 at 2:04 pm

This looks lovely. As I am in an apartment with no grill access, I’d like to try this in my oven – any idea what temperature would roughly translate to “medium-hot” in an oven?

10. aiQUANT Says:

October 13th, 2007 at 8:01 am

This one looks easy… I’m going to try it today!

11. Vishnu Says:

October 17th, 2007 at 8:01 pm

Mallika i added this recipe page to my favourites about a month ago and i tried it today! I just ate a piece and its just fantastic!! Extremely simple to make, healthy and delicous….yummy yummy…cant type anymore..i’m off to wolf down the remaining pieces!! Thanks a lot for the recipe!

12. Dan The How to Cook Salmon Expert Says:

December 16th, 2007 at 2:35 am

This fish recipe you’ve got here looks so yummy. Indeed I’ll take note of this recipe and give it a try this weekend. The family is a huge fish lover and they will love this recipe. Thanks:)

13. Quick Indian Cooking » A rice crisis Says:

March 9th, 2008 at 10:50 am

[…] it with anything you like! I love a bit of masala fish or chicken on the side. This entry was written by Mallika, posted on February 21, 2008 at 4:16 […]

14. Meghna Says:

August 12th, 2008 at 8:08 am

Hi Mallika
    I am going to try this recip since I dont have a grill am gonna do it in the oven – can u guide me with the temperature settings and timings? Thanks.

15. love tarot guru Says:

February 2nd, 2009 at 11:58 am

I like the recipe and will try it in my toaster oven wrapped in foil.

16. ILOVEFOOD Says:

May 5th, 2010 at 8:12 pm

where’s the masala?

17. Goswami Says:

November 14th, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Good one.. Need such healthy baked food fast easy n healthy