A model wife

August 30, 2007

coconut-chicken-curry.jpgAs I cooked salmon for dinner yesterday I stopped to think about the meatarian hubby. He’s away in the countryside shooting vapid models in a remote castle, complete with falcons, doberman dogs and a hot air balloon.

Fairly dull compared to my average day jostling armpits on the underground and irate clients at work methinks.

I frequently get asked “don’t you get jealous of the models?” But of course I do.

Who wouldn’t want to be stuck in the freezing cold with no mobile phone reception, skimpy clothes for protection and nothing but a celery stick for dinner?

I deal with it all the old fashioned way – targeting the tube that leads from his stomach to his heart. Before he left, I made him a veritable weekday feast using a recipe from Meena of Hooked on Heat.

It was a coconut chicken curry, I was instantly drawn to because hubby loves both coconut milk and curry leaves. Besides, it sounded super quick to make. The only small change I made to the recipe was using chicken drumsticks, because I hate cooking curry with chicken breasts.

It hit the right spot for hubby and made me quite smug too. Next time, I will try this with diced thigh to cut cooking time even further.

This recipe serves 2:

4 chicken drumsticks, skinned

1 medium onion, finely chopped

3 green chillies, slit through the middle

2 garlic cloves, finely chopped

400gm tin coconut milk

10 curry leaves

2 dry red whole chillies

1 tbsp coriander seeds

1 tsp cumin seeds

Quarter tsp turmeric powder

2 tbsp sunflower oil

Salt to taste

Set a medium pot on a high flame and when hot, dry roast the coriander, cumin seeds and dry red chillies. When you can smell their heady aromas, take them off the heat and grind them into a paste with a tablespoon of warm water. This is much quicker than trying to turn it into a smooth powder with a blunt blender.

In the medium pan, fry the onions, garlic and curry leaves in hot oil until the mixture turns a warm golden colour. Now add the turmeric, spice paste and green chillies and fry for five minutes.

Then chuck in the chicken and vigorously incorporate the masalas into it while browning the chicken evenly. When it is well sealed, pour in the coconut milk.

On a medium flame, cook the chicken for half an hour until it is done. Serve it hot with some rice or rotis.

PS = Just to reinforce my status as a model wife, I made this stunning prawn curry for the in-laws, sister and hubby. It was so tasty, I couldn’t hold them back until the photograph was taken. ‘Nuff said…

19 Responses to “A model wife”

1. Fiona Says:

August 12th, 2010 at 1:05 pm

This was so simple to prepare and a big hit with all my family. Really delicious, – after making this dish, I realised I can cook! I will be visiting again soon. Thanks Mallika.

2. Anonyme Says:

May 23rd, 2009 at 11:07 pm

I like this website. This website helped me with prayer learning. Good job. Thank you. Please provide more French prayers. Bye-bye.

3. Quick Indian Cooking » No stress to impress Says:

May 22nd, 2008 at 12:37 pm

[…] one chicken/lamb curry and a […]

4. Atticussays Says:

March 17th, 2008 at 7:53 am

Mallika, I tried this one out today and was thrilled to bits that it turned out just like the photo. I ate so much that I had to roll myself over to my machine to say thank you.

5. moreMirchi Says:

September 8th, 2007 at 11:29 am

Great work Mallika – and I’m going to try this recipe for sure :)

6. mandira Says:

September 4th, 2007 at 10:51 am

model wife indeed, I have no doubt :) the chicken looks delicious BTW.

7. Radman Says:

September 2nd, 2007 at 7:26 pm

Two questions.

First, does your husband need an assistant?
    Second, do you have any sisters?

have a great day.

8. Nick Says:

September 2nd, 2007 at 3:05 pm

Hi Mallika,

Thanks for your comment on my blog at – you took a little finding as the link did not work to your site! I am glad you are enjoying my blog – and I am extremely pleased to have found yours! Many moons ago I used to be a chef and my love of food combines naturally with my love of fine wine.

I would be delighted to suggest some wines to accompany your recipes – and would love to feature some of your cooking on our site – my readers would be very interested as I often get requests for Indian recipes and what is best to drink with spicy foods.

9. Shan Says:

September 1st, 2007 at 4:59 am

This looks delicious! Will definitely try this within the next few days. And I love drumsticks so will stick to that.

10. Meena Says:

August 31st, 2007 at 11:50 am

Glad you enjoyed it! And who needs to be a model when one can cook and feed the hubby in such elegance! ;)

11. Anita Says:

August 31st, 2007 at 6:37 am

Celery stick cannot dinner make…no need to be jealous of nothing! :-D

12. nandita Says:

August 31st, 2007 at 1:00 am

Ah! Loved reading that- and I gotta go look up vapid in the dictionary now…thanks for adding a word to my vocab- Have a good weekend Mallika!

13. pooja v Says:

August 30th, 2007 at 1:35 pm

I love sarcastic humour. This is a funny post and an awesome recipe. This is first time here n i loved it. Sure to be regular here.

14. Wendy Says:

August 30th, 2007 at 11:03 am

You do make me laugh! Chicken on the bone recipes are always welcome. :)

15. Happy cook Says:

August 30th, 2007 at 9:40 am

A fuuny post and a good recipe.
    Loved the remark about the celery stick

16. sandeepa Says:

August 30th, 2007 at 8:25 am

Yummo dekhte hoyeche chicken curry…who needs celery sticks when the hubby shoots such pics for you

17. Shammi Says:

August 30th, 2007 at 7:55 am

Heheh… I love sarcastic posts and this one ranks with the best of ‘em! :) Nice read!

18. Kanchana Says:

August 30th, 2007 at 7:49 am

Awesome Writeup! Meena’s stuff is too good. I’m sure there are many reasons your hubby comes back home to you!!!

19. Tjeerd Says:

August 30th, 2007 at 7:11 am

I had to look up ‘vapid’ in the dictionary :-)

I am a great fan of chicken and coconut, so I’ll try this one out in the weekend.

am using breasts though, I like them better than drum-sticks.

I will let you know how they were!