Recipe

Comedy value

June 27, 2007

Ingredients

Method

_b2m0007.jpgThere I was at a comedy night out. Dressed in clothes two sizes too tight. Laughing until my belly wobbled. Until I saw the dinner menu.

I can only describe it as posh Weatherspoons meets Dallas Chicken and Chips. And nestling among the towers of battered chicken and deep fried tex mex, was a Chicken Tikka Masala. Complete with pilau rice and naan bread. Resplendent in its position as top choice for mopping up the alcohol running riot through 100 hysterical humans.

As you all know, Chicken Tikka Masala has no place my kitchen – self-respecting Indian and weight watcher as I am. Give me a jeera chicken served with some lemony channa (chickpea) salad, any day.

This is what I cooked when my little sis came over from uni mid-week to collect a visa for her next exotic break. I marinated the chicken in two seconds flat before I left for work in the morning and while it cooked in the evening, I made the channa salad.

My sister licked her plate clean, which doesn’t say much as she’s a hungry student. My husband loved it too. That really counts for something.

This recipe serves 3-4:

1 400 gm tin of chickpeas

6-8 cherry tomatoes, quartered

1 small onion, chopped roughly

Juice of half a lemon

Quarter tsp chilli powder

Salt to taste

12 gm (a handful) of fresh coriander, chopped roughly

I a large mixing bowl, mix together the rinsed and drained chickpeas with all the other ingredients. Add salt to taste and enjoy at room temperature.

Comments

17 Responses to “Comedy value”

June 27th, 2007 at 7:45 am

Great looking salad! Mallika,I am on vacation,I think missed your last post.Hope you are doing well.I posted few photos,see if you can guess where I am!:))

2. anusharaji Says:

June 27th, 2007 at 9:09 am

lovely snack :)
    i thought of posting similar to it
    vl add tomatoes next time ;)

3. sra Says:

June 27th, 2007 at 9:51 pm

Hi Mallika, it looks lovely. Will half a lemon register on 400 gm of chickpea?

June 28th, 2007 at 2:54 am

Thanks ladies! Sra – a 400gm tin of chick peas actually gives you only 250gm, after rinsing and draining. So half a lemon is more than enough.

5. Mangs Says:

June 28th, 2007 at 4:09 am

i love that the summer recipes are coming out!!

ps: do you know a supermarket to buy frpozen fenugreek cubes? and where dyou recommend buying indian spices – drummond street?

xo

6. Mangs Says:

June 28th, 2007 at 4:10 am

because i only have halal shops around where i live (i think) and we’ve all gone collectively mad trying to uncover what ajwain is in english!!

June 28th, 2007 at 4:19 am

Hey Mangs – Drummond Street is where I shop and it’s the nearest place to you too. Go to Ravi, the Indian spice shop there. I’ve been shopping there for the last 15 years!!

Ajwain is carom seeds, but Ravi’s will know what it is.

Also, they will have frozen methi. Tesco sells it, but maybe not where you re. If Ravi doesn’t have it, just buy the fresh stuff and stick it in the freezer. Same deal!

More summer recipes on their way… you must let me know how it goes!

8. sandeepa Says:

June 28th, 2007 at 8:36 am

Thats a very fresh looking salad. Sis ki shoot e geche ?

9. Dilip Says:

June 28th, 2007 at 11:23 am

wow….what a lovely picture again…great salad..thanks

10. Shilpa Says:

June 28th, 2007 at 3:07 pm

Hi Mallika, sorry I haven’t been visiting much! Heh heh, my sis would lick her plate clean, too, not because she’s a starving student, but she doesn’t know how to cook! :) Aaah, simple is always best, your salad looks like a crowd pleaser!

11. The TriniGourmet Says:

June 28th, 2007 at 6:02 pm

lovely looking salad, very crisp and light :)

12. padmaja Says:

June 30th, 2007 at 11:49 pm

That looks absolutely delicious mallika!!
    I am off to tescos today, hope i find those frozen fenugk cubes as we have a huge collection on asian stuff here in ipswich!

13. Radman Says:

July 1st, 2007 at 8:09 pm

whats wrong with chicken tikka masala?

14. Danielle Says:

July 24th, 2007 at 1:17 pm

Radman, click on “Chicken Tikka Masala” in the text to see her previous post about it

15. Quick Indian Cooking » Image: A fishy business Says:

March 30th, 2008 at 1:38 pm

[…] made some channa salad on the side and ate most of it for dinner, saving some for leafy salad lunch at work the next day. […]

16. jo Says:

February 24th, 2009 at 9:32 pm

My favorite salad! Sooooo yum and good for you. I usually add a little mint and splash of olive oil (I know you don’t cook with it in indian cooking but it works well as a salad dressing) to cut through the acid of the lemon. Thanks for sharing I LOVE your site.

17. click Says:

February 25th, 2014 at 9:51 pm

My brother proposed I would personally maybe this way web-site. He or she appeared to be entirely perfect. This post essentially produced my personal day. You actually can not visualize exactly how a good deal time I’d used just for this information! Many thanks!