Recipe

10-minute chicken curry?

June 25, 2007

Ingredients

Method

10-min-chicken.jpgIt’s taken me virtually my whole adult life to master Microsoft Word and I still can’t touch type. Just as I reach a level of comfort with my computer, something new shows up to baffle me. Case in point: recent efforts to embed a step-by-step Indian cooking video.

It was from Videojug, a website where “people can come to find and watch free professionally-made instructional, helpful and information videos on anything and everything in life.”

Very interesting.

I clicked into it and found a host of popular curry recipes, all clearly explained in short videos. If I wasn’t so technically challenged, I would have embedded the video in here to show you how the thing works. So, I’m going to do it the old fashioned way.

The recipe in question is for a 10-minute chicken curry. Being a great fan myself of anything 10-minute long related to food, I gave it a go. The video itself was great for beginners and very simply explained. The issues I had were with the recipe, because it used:

• Cubed chicken breast which is virtually impenetrable as far as masalas go and especially tasteless when given some five minutes with spices
  • Olive oil which is far too expensive and not really used in authentic Indian cooking, presumably used here for its health benefits
  • Lots of double cream, which didn’t really fit with the olive oil argument
  • Only one deseeded green chilli. Go on, be a (wo)man. Use two, seeds and all…

I substituted the double cream with Greek yoghurt, and used both boned and cubed chicken thighs and breasts. The chicken thigh chunks were definitely more succulent and tender. Next time, I’ll use a tablespoon of sunflower oil.

It was no real surprise that the dish took longer than 10 minutes to make, with the preparation time. But it was absolutely delicious and will definitely feature in my kitchen again. I ate it with the yummy paneer and corn pulao I made earlier.

Comments

15 Responses to “10-minute chicken curry?”

1. Maninas Says:

June 25th, 2007 at 5:34 am

That’s a lovely photo, Mallika!

2. Wendy Says:

June 25th, 2007 at 6:52 am

Just discovered your blog and love it! My partner adores chicken curries. This will definitely be made very soon!

3. Deana Says:

June 25th, 2007 at 8:29 am

Hi Mallika! I also tried this recipe off of videojug, a few months back. I also thought it took longer than 10 minutes, maybe just hte cooking takes 10 minutes! I like you substitution of yogurt to cream. We don’t have double cream here in the states, so it took me a while to figure out what it was!

A question for you. My husband and I will be in London with our 8 and 3 year old next month, and the 8 year old wants to eat at a “real” Indian restaurant. Never mind I make Indian food, or that we have restaurants all over the place here, she insists the closets thing to the streets of Mumbai must be London.

So do you have any suggestions of kid friendly Indian restaurants in London?

Always enjoy your blog and recipes.

Deana

4. The TriniGourmet Says:

June 26th, 2007 at 1:07 am

Hee I think anything less than 15 minutes should be suspect :) esp if it involves meat but that’s just me :) your adjustments sound a LOT more appetizing :)

June 26th, 2007 at 5:31 am

Hi Deana – thanks so much for your comment. I’ve seen photos of your two cute kids on your blog. I have two suggestions for you in central London. One is Gaylords on Mortimer Street. Slightly on the expensive side it’s where Indians eat authentic food when they are in London.

Or alternatively, try Masala Zone on Marshall Street in Soho. It’s cheap and cheerful and has lots of very good authentic Indian dishes from street food (very Mumbai) to curries and thalis.

They are both child friendly. Have a fantastic time in London. I will read all about it on your blog, I’m sure!

6. sandeepa Says:

June 28th, 2007 at 8:38 am

Looks delicious. 10 minutes is too short.
    You can use olive oil for Indian cooking…I do sometimes if there is not a lot of “kashano” or “bhuno” involved. Maybe not for the puritans but good for me

7. Radhika Says:

August 26th, 2007 at 5:00 am

Hi! I am from the US and dont get what u mean by double cream…can you explain?

Thanks!

August 27th, 2007 at 10:33 am

Hi Radhika – I think double cream is known as heavy cream in the US. It has a minimum milk fat of 48% and can be whipped and used for cake icing and deserts.

Does this help?

Chrs
    M

9. bex Says:

October 29th, 2007 at 11:34 am

Well i am 13 and enjoying food technology at my school. We had to research recipes for homework and then cook them but it had to be a forien dish, i didnt realise, i saw the exact same thing as you on video blog and i would like to ask weither it is 10 minutes to cook or not?
    I havn’t cooked it yet but will be sure to tell you how it went thanks again.

October 30th, 2007 at 2:40 am

Hi Bex

Cooking is great fun. This recipe takes more like 30 minutes, but it is still pretty quick for a chicken curry. So do try it and let me know how it goes.

Good luck!!

Best
    Mallika

11. Quick Indian Cooking » A model wife Says:

March 30th, 2008 at 1:35 pm

[…] It was a coconut chicken curry, I was instantly drawn to because hubby loves both coconut milk and curry leaves. Besides, it sounded super quick to make. The only small change I made to the recipe was using chicken drumsticks, because I hate cooking curry with chicken breasts. […]

12. Quick Indian Cooking » Finding ways to be better Says:

September 19th, 2008 at 8:00 am

[…] two minutes until they are soft to the touch. Check for salt and serve hot. I ate this with a 10 minute chicken curry and some Basmati rice for weekday lunch while working from home. This entry was written by […]

13. Quick Indian Cooking » Kadai chicken for kitchen dramas Says:

October 23rd, 2008 at 9:11 am

[…] situations call for alternative action. PS = Just don’t use chicken breasts. That’s one compromise too far. Feeds […]

14. Doitthemoroccanway Says:

March 9th, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Now I know what am I cooking tomorrow inshallah :)
    Thx

15. Tom Fortino Says:

February 10th, 2014 at 2:08 am

Therefore expectt the good thing, bbut ask for shortfalls. With an increase of experience, you may also demand as much
    as 2500 121,500 from your boss. By being young and healthy, your
    quality will be inexpensive and affordable.