Not too fishy

April 12, 2007

img_5292.jpgBack to recipes after three Indian cooking lessons and I was a bit stuck for ideas. A bit of archive rekke to decide what to cook next revealed an abyssmal absence of fish dishes in my repertoire.

No suprise there considering I was virtually tortured with Bengali fish curry as a child.

See, I developed terrible eyesight at the tender age of nine. The local quack eye shrink recommended I eat a lot of fish.

Bengalis are famous for their fish curries. Except they cook fish with skin, bones, heads and tails. They cook vegetables with fish and dal with fish.

Suddently, not only was fish everywhere, every day, but I also had to eat it.

Enough to put me off it for the next 20 years!

As a (near) grown woman, I have decided to test the fishy waters once again. I looked around for fish recipes and came across this one by Sra.

I was drawn to its simplicity and, of course, speed. The results were delicious and even our house guest, who hates Indian food, was left licking his fingers. Use a meaty fish to prevent it from falling apart.

The only change I made to Sra’s recipe, was to fry the onion. garlic and ginger first to get rid of the raw smell, before adding the masalas, fish and coconut milk.

Serves 2-3:

500 gm meaty white fish (I used Marlin)
1 cup coconut milk
3 small onions, chopped
1 tsp chilli flakes or two red chillies ground
2″ cinnamon
10 curry leaves
Quarter tsp turmeric
Quarter tsp fenugreek leaves
Juice of half a lime
2 tbsp oil
Salt to taste

Fry the onion, ginger and garlic until they turn pale brown. Add all the spices, curry leaves and fry on a high for about five minutes.

Add the coconut milk, lower the flame and simmer for about 10 minutes until the raw smell of the spice go.

Finally, cube the fish and add it to the pan. Wait until the fish cooks through, no more than a couple of minutes, and then serve, drizzled with the lime juice.

11 Responses to “Not too fishy”

1. Kedgeree Says:

October 17th, 2014 at 1:40 pm

[…] was served. Kerala-style Monkfish Curry, with tamarind and coconut, and Kedgeree. Kedgeree is my go to crowd pleaser: a cousin of the […]

September 22nd, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Great, thanks a ton for letting me know Nima

3. Nima Says:

September 20th, 2013 at 1:16 pm

This was out standing.Thank you so much.

4. carol Says:

August 24th, 2011 at 8:49 pm

I made this recipe last night for a dinner party honoring a visiting Indian pastor. It was my first time experimenting with cooking Indian food. He said it was delicious! So thank you! I will try more of your recipes in the future!

5. Oskar Says:

August 19th, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Good work, wonderful blog… really enjoy it and added into my social bookmarks. Keep up the good work What you said made a lot of sense.

6. alka Says:

June 28th, 2008 at 2:39 am

white phish bole toh?

7. Michelle Says:

April 14th, 2007 at 9:03 am

Oooh, I’ve been wanting to try a simple fish curry recipe. Thanks! Looks great.

April 13th, 2007 at 8:31 am

Garaham – in a similar vein, I find chilli has an even more productive effect. But I can’t go too much into that on a food blog!!

Thanks Sra and Shantanu – I might even take to fish after this one!

9. SHANTANU Says:

April 13th, 2007 at 5:45 am

Have to try this one out; the picture is enough to make me hungry :)

I have to complement you on this blog; great content and presentation! I expect to be back here now and then.

10. sra Says:

April 12th, 2007 at 9:43 pm

A world of difference in the colour, Mallika. Yours has a lovely salmon-y, coral colour! Adding fenugreek leaves to fish is new to me!

11. Graham Says:

April 12th, 2007 at 2:13 pm

Not sure if this is in the same ballpark, but it sounds like it is :) Malvani (whatever that is) curry

I find the addition of tamraind in a curry really helps. Not only with the tatse, but the run to the toilet about ten minutes after dinner.