Lesson II: Ground masalas

April 3, 2007

masalas-sm.jpgI almost didn’t notice it was Spring. The climate in my office swings from sweaty armpits to freezing my balls off.

Oh sorry, I don’t have any.

Tits off.

Oops not that neither.

Let’s just move on to cooking, shall we?

This is step two of the basic lessons. It’s all about powdered masalas. These are whole spices ground to a fine powder.

Normally powdered masalas are added after whole ones or after wet ingredients like onions, ginger and garlic. When you first add them they have pungent, strong aromas that burn the tip of your noses. You know when they are cooked when they blend into a wonderfully aromatic but subtle fragrance.

Ground masalas include:

• Turmeric: The ground root of a plant belonging to the ginger family. Yellow, warm and lovely
  • Chilli: Red, sharp and hot hot. Use with care
  • Cumin: Ground roasted whole cumin
  • Coriander: Ground seeds of the coriander plant
  • Garam masala: Ground bay leaf, cinammon, whole black peppercorns, cloves and cardamom

There are load of other ground masalas. But these are the very basic. And you can do some serious damage with a turmeric, chilli and cumin combo.

Like some added to chicken and then pan fried.

Or used with lemon juice on salmon fillets.

The best way to use these is to buy in small quantities, store tight away from sunlight so they don’t lose their flavour and follow recipe instructions.

This is where I confess to never bothering to make powdered masalas from scratch. It’s too much hassle, especially when you can buy perfectly lovely ready ground masalas in the shops.

But if you’re aching to do this the proper, old fashioned way, here is a (very basic) guide:

4 cardamoms
4 cloves
1″ stick cinnamon
1 bay leaf
4 whole black peppercorns

Roast the whole lot on a medium over for 10 minutes and then grind in a blender/grinder. You can make lots of this and store in an airtight container for at least a month.

9 Responses to “Lesson II: Ground masalas”

1. Quick Indian Cooking » Yogurt: My ingredient of choice Says:

April 3rd, 2008 at 2:11 am

[…] ingredients that add up to an Indian recipe are a far cry from all this. So they smell. Are well fiddly. And require some planning. But boy do they make up for working day misery as well as a stiff drink […]

April 10th, 2007 at 1:46 pm

Always happy to make you laugh at my own expense. I am trying to sober up, though!!

Midwest Vegan – Curry powder is simply a blend of masalas designed to give you a convenient alternative to adding a bit of this and a bit of that. While uber convenient, it does take the joy out of cooking Indian slightly. So glad you found these posts useful.

3. shilpa Says:

April 10th, 2007 at 11:37 am

hahah.. you’re too funny! thanks for the couple of kopi recipes, they are the only veggies i actually enjoy cooking.

4. Midwest Vegan Says:

April 10th, 2007 at 8:44 am

Thanks for the laugh.

I’m fairly new to cooking Indian so I love all your tips. One question – do you use curry powder too in cooking or does the combination of the spices do the same thing?

5. sia Says:

April 5th, 2007 at 2:11 am

ha ha ha mallika… u dont have what?
    its spring now n i guess u too r living in UK. just loveing the warm sunny spells and ur masalas are as bright as spring flowers. i dont bother to make masalas at home. what mom and mil’s r for?;)

6. sandeepa Says:

April 4th, 2007 at 11:06 am

Tumi pomfert chara anyo mach o use korte paro, like bass etc. or banladeshi mach like rui. Since my Bangladeshi store is not exactly a hop away I try with other kinds of fish.
    Also you can blanch the tomatoes if you don’t like the skin in your jhol, I do so I just chopped them fine and cooked

7. sandeepa Says:

April 4th, 2007 at 9:26 am

try this

Kintu eita tomato diye. Sorshe bata diye korechi kintu kono post nei

April 4th, 2007 at 6:19 am

HEHE!! GAWD woman,don’t have both?! What do have then?!;D

Good info about GM,thanks.

9. spittoonextra Says:

April 3rd, 2007 at 5:46 pm

UK Food Blogs – April 2007 List…

Several new additions warrant an update to the list of UK Food bloggers. In fact this is a food and wine blog list. No UK beer blogs as yet though, which I find surprising, although perhaps I am not looking……