Different strokes

March 19, 2007

It’s official. The Bollywood film my sister is acting in has been named. It’s called Love Songs and it will also feature industry stalwarts like Jaya Bachhan and Om Puri. Sis has been busy perfecting her dance moves on the streets of Calcutta, in full costume, the entire weekend.

All this while her oldest sister, i.e. moi, has been donning spring colours, sampling flavoured vodkas and singing “like a virgin” in karaoke bars. Even the new bottom skimming dress got a great response. Until someone said: “I love your top!”

What a role model! My little sister, I mean.

To follow on from my previous post on two ways to cook potato and cauliflower curry. We’ve covered aloo gobi, the popular Punjabi version. Here is the Bengali version, which is eaten as a light curry with rice.

Serves 4:

400gms cauliflower, cut into large florets
4 large new potatoes halved or two large normal potatoes peeled and quartered
1 small onion, chopped
1 tomato, quartered
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 bay leaf
Half tsp garam masala
Quarter tsp turmeric powder
Half tsp chilli powder
1 tbsp oil
Fresh coriander to garnish
Salt to taste

Heat the oil and fry the bay leaf, until it starts sizzling. Then fry the onions until translucent.

Throw in the potatoes, all the powders apart from the garam masala, add half a cup of water, cover the pot and cook the potatoes.

When the potatoes are almost cooked (you will be able to insert a fork into the potatoes with some difficulty), add in the cauliflower and the tomatoes.

Cover the pot and cook until the cauliflowers become soft and a fork can be inserted into them easily.

It’s very important to add the cauliflower when the potatoes are almost cooked or they’ll be overcooked.

Add salt and sprinkle garam masala and fresh coriander to finish. This dish should be served with a light curry base, ideally with some rice.

18 Responses to “Different strokes”

1. Midwest Vegan Says:

March 20th, 2007 at 4:23 am

I found your blog through a link on Hooked On Heat and thoroughly enjoyed reading through your posts. I tried your Saag Aloo recipe and posted about it. It was pretty easy to make and tasted good. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I’m going to have to try some of your other recipes.

2. mandira Says:

March 20th, 2007 at 6:49 am

Mallika, aloo kophir dalna looks delicious. I make it the same way except I shallow fry the alu and kophi seperately before. Congratulations and good luck to your sis on her first movie. Keep us posted. :)

3. Monika Korngut Says:

March 20th, 2007 at 1:36 pm

I also found your link through Hooked on Heat. I feel a little intimidated about cooking Indian food, but you make it look very easy. These cauliflower recipes look delicious. I will definitely come back and see what else you’re cooking and try making some of them.

Take care.

4. Sakshi Says:

March 21st, 2007 at 5:11 am

Hey..on a different tangent here, I have sent you an email and it might be stuck in your spam folder.

Kindly pls do check and reply when free.

March 21st, 2007 at 6:49 am

Great to have some new bloggers on site.

Mandira – You are actually supposed to fry them before you add them to the curry. But this is quick Indian cooking so it saves time to add them in directly. Also, I am fairly fat conscious and don’t like pre-frying before frying as it were.

Try my version next time and see what you think.

6. Shohini Says:

March 21st, 2007 at 8:42 am

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! Not one, but two wonderful aloo gobi recipes and you were so sweet to email and let me know they were there! My mother arrives for a visit in two weeks – plenty of time to try these out and wow her. Hubby thanks you dearly too. He’s finally getting the yummy Indian cooking he thought he’d get by marrying a Bengali gal.

Take care,

7. asha Says:

March 21st, 2007 at 2:53 pm

I got confused too.I thought I commented about Aloo Gobhi and here you are with another version.Looks very elegant!:))

Can’t wait to see Love songs on B4U!! I am excited.

Sorry about the “top looks good” comment!;D When you have pretty sisters,got to party with not so pretty friends!:D:D

8. Rinku Says:

March 21st, 2007 at 6:43 pm

Wow! My favorite dish. I absolutely love cauliflower. Do not watch too much Bollywood, but have to watch your sister’s movie.

9. Monkey Wrangler Says:

March 22nd, 2007 at 12:54 pm

Looks fantastic Mallika! I need an excuse to make garam masala to have on hand so when I yodle out an “ALOO…..” (instead of yahoo or waahoo) folks round these parts know what I’m up to.

Congrats to the sis, keep up the fantastic work yourself.

10. Avi Says:

March 22nd, 2007 at 7:57 pm

Just came across your site today. I am a desi living in China now. I only know how to make only 2 or 3 indian dishes so I am looking forward to giving some of your a whirl. Mahalo.

11. Mangs Says:

April 7th, 2007 at 12:06 pm

onions? right at the start, before bay leaf, right?

12. Chennette Says:

April 8th, 2007 at 8:38 am

Hi – Found your blog from the Trini Gourmet. Love your pictures. And the recipes of course.

April 8th, 2007 at 8:44 am

Hi Mangs – No, bay leaf always goes first so it can fry in the hot oil before you add the rest of the ingredients.

Great to have some new blog buddies. Hope you guys try the recipes and give me a shout.

14. Friday the 13th dinner party at Quick Indian Cooking Says:

April 13th, 2007 at 9:32 am

[…] I now have a dinner party for 10 to look forward to, for which I have cooked an entirely Bengali meal of kosha mangsho, aloo kophir dalna, cholar dal and doi begun. […]

15. bead bracelet Says:

January 3rd, 2012 at 12:25 am

This is the best article I have ever found on the Internet.Iike pandora bracelets jewelry.

16. perceptible generational differences Says:

April 16th, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Thanks for a marvelous posting! I seriously enjoyed reading
    it, you could be a great author.I will ensure that I bookmark your
    blog and may come back later on. I want to encourage one to
    continue your great posts, have a nice weekend!

17. Benito Says:

April 16th, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Yes! Finally something about google rank checker.

18. 2013 ???????? Says:

December 23rd, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Woah! I’m really enjoying the template/theme of this site.
    It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s very difficult to get that “perfect balance” between user friendliness and visual appearance.
    I must say that you’ve done a amazing job with this. In addition, the blog loads very fast for me on Opera.
    Superb Blog!