Recipe

Cod vs. Kosha Mangsho

March 1, 2007

Ingredients

Method

kosha-mangsho-small.jpgIt’s late. I’ve just got back from a bitch of a day at work involving a new client crisis, the biggest new business pitch EVER and two long meetings.

Changed into a retro nightgown (read: old, torn), I am now sipping vodka cranberry in our study. Our dinner is in the oven. Ready to bake breaded cod fillets. More bread, less cod. Thank you global, beastly supermarket. Every little does help!

It’s in moments like this that I am almost tempted to reach for the telephone and call Spice-Tandoori-Balti-Taj-Mahal whatever down the road to eat anything, just anything, that has chilli and turmeric powder in it. My colleague suggested curry porridge, his very own special recipe. It sounded quick, easy and… utterly revolting. Cod it is!

It’s going to be painful writing my last cooking from cookbooks recipe as I take the first hesitant bite into my dinner, but here goes. The last recipe I cooked this week from a cookbook was from The Calcutta Kitchen.

This cookbook is close to my heart for obvious reasons. I am a Bengali from Calcutta (now Kolkata) and I know both the chef and the co-author of the cookbook through common acquaintances. It still didn’t stop me moaning throughout the recipe breakdown.

I chose Kosha Mangsho, a dry lamb dish that is typical to Bengalis. First, I moaned because the recipe uses garlic and Bengali’s aren’t real garlic users. Then I had issues with the recipe using tomatoes when it should have worked with yoghurt. Finally, I couldn’t believe the author wanted it stuck in the oven for 20 minutes. Why, when the cooker would suffice?

I forced myself to follow the recipe and the results were amazing. My friend/house guest was licking her fingers clean! This recipe serves 2 people:

400 gm boneless lamb, cut into cubes

2 onions, chopped
Half inch ginger, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
4 medium tomatoes, quartered
1.5 tbsp mustard oil
1 tsp sugar

Mix the meat with all the marinade ingredients. If you can, leave it for two hours. I gave it 10 minutes.

In a pan, heat the vegetable oil and when hot add the meat and the marinade. Stire fry for 15 minutes. Add the hot water, cover and cook on a medium flame for half an hour.

Then add the potatoes, raise the flame and cook for another half an hour until the meat and potatoes are cooked and there is no gravy left. Stir in the garam masala just as the gravy is drying up.

This dish is great with Indian breads like parathas and puris.

Comments

17 Responses to “Cod vs. Kosha Mangsho”

1. Padmaja Says:

March 2nd, 2007 at 5:56 am

hey mallika!!
    I love to read and try u’r recipes and the way u write up!! simply amazing!!!
    U make me laugh thru u’r wonderful write ups with u’r sense of humour when i am really having a bad day at work or really tired!!!
    very few people have that!! so keep it up and keep them flowing

2. Garrett Says:

March 12th, 2007 at 4:29 pm

OMG that looks crazy tasty!

3. Friday the 13th dinner party at Quick Indian Cooking Says:

April 13th, 2007 at 9:05 am

[…] I now have a dinner party for 10 to look forward to, for which I have cooked an entirely Bengali meal of kosha mangsho, aloo kophir dalna, cholar dal and doi begun. […]

4. Usoshi Says:

August 21st, 2007 at 8:47 am

Hey Mallika,

Hope you are doing well. I wanted to let you know that i tried both the kosha mangsho and the mutton stew, with the lamb and it was just awesome!!!!!!
    Im just soo glad that i found this blog……. looking forward to trying out the other recipes.. Can you suggest some baked chicken recipe?? indian style…..thanks
    Take care

August 21st, 2007 at 10:03 am

Hi Usoshi – thanks so much for letting me know how it came out. I’ll think of a nice baked chicken recipe for you! Carry on cooking! :-)

6. asef Says:

October 17th, 2007 at 7:45 am

Hi Mallika
    this was a great one! At least for a day my wife did’t say me a useless cook.
    cheers …Asef

7. Nysa Says:

October 19th, 2007 at 2:25 am

I have tried this recipe atleast 5 times, with varying time of marination according to the time in hand. It turned out to be extremely delicious everytime. Keep up the good work. Your recipes are short and simple but yummy.

October 19th, 2007 at 4:15 am

Thanks so much for letting me know Nysa. I’m so glad you enjoyed it!

9. Bangla Forum Says:

February 17th, 2008 at 2:22 am

Yes. I like the way you are thinking. I also used to think like that.

10. Atticussays Says:

March 29th, 2008 at 10:43 pm

I managed to let this marinate for fifteen minutes, beating you by a solid five. It turned out lovely. It boggles the mind to think what it would taste like if it is really allowed to stew in its own juices for the recommended two hours.

11. meg Says:

May 30th, 2008 at 10:29 am

Just got link from another blog i visit regularly. I love the recipe. I am gonna give it go!

12. Quick Indian Cooking » No stress to impress Says:

June 15th, 2008 at 1:10 pm

[…] one chicken/lamb curry and a […]

13. Quick Indian Cooking » A hit for the season Says:

December 9th, 2008 at 6:38 am

[…] in tatters, I turned to the food. We ate Kosha Mangsho, Cholar dal, Beguni with Kumro Chokka, a deceptively simple sweet and spicy pumpkin stir fry with […]

14. Ananya Says:

June 19th, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Hi,

I plan to try out the kosha mangsho recipe this wknd for my girls’ bday party :) but ive got mutton with bones… so should I cook in the pressure cooker? n for how long? wud really appreciate ur advise… :)
    thnx

15. Kuntala Says:

January 4th, 2011 at 8:43 am

Mallika, I cooked your kosha mangsho recipe yesterday. It was sort of important because I was cooking first time for my boyfriend. The preparation was awesome and every credit goes to your recipe. The best part is, it was a two-steps and one-pot recipe. I will definitely come back for more recipes.

Thanks a lot.

Also, I love your writing.

16. Shelby Says:

March 30th, 2013 at 5:44 pm

It is quite all to easy to use the Eco-friendly Smoke wholesome electronic cigarettes.
    We hardly recognized when my work stress leaded me towards the habit of cigarette smoking.
    Stress as well as cigarettes had been a deadly mixture for me.

I had to give up on the tar abundant conventional smoking with
    these wonderful options available in the market. Today, We inhale just the flavored absolutely no
    tobacco e-cigs. This prevents a check in my cigarette urges.
    I am not a sequence smoker anymore.

17. Twenty Five Bengali Recipes for A Virtual Feast - Spice Chronicles Says:

September 26th, 2014 at 4:44 am

[…] Kasha Mangsho – Slow cooked pot roasted mutton. Here is a version from the Calcutta Cookbook on Malika’s […]