Boredom and Bollywood cooking

February 21, 2007

acharo-aloo.jpgSense and sensibility were not the key focus of this week. My nutritionist has forbidden sugar consumption. So I loaded myself until 3:00am with alcohol and msg instead. In Soho. While jet lagged.

I sobered up quickly when I read about fellow UK blogger who recently bagged a 70,000 pounds sterling publishing deal for a book.

I read it. And it’s compulsive stuff. This poor pregnant woman is stuck in the North of England, with nothing but sheep, daffodils, lunatic neighbours and a child for company. She may as well be in the Sahara desert living with cactii.

To think I’ve been moaning about the London Underground!

If I were to suffer the same fate, I’d cook and eat so much Indian food I’d become a pig and turn myself into the local butcher.

Back on the subject of food (I always find a way), this week I’ve been trialling recipes from published chefs and food writers. It’s a bit like this other blogger, who got sick of stocking cookbooks and started using them instead.

My first recipe is from the fantastic Bollywood Cookbook by Bulbul Mankani. Only die-hard Bollywood fans or lonely ladies need bother, but surprisingly the book has lovely recipes and some super simple ones.

I picked a favourite recipe from the Bachchan family, without a doubt India’s most powerful Bollywood clan. It’s for Aachari Aloo or pickled potatoes.

This recipe is so simple and its ingredients can be found widely. Even in Northumberland!

The recipe serves four, when cooked with another dish or two when eaten on it’s own:

12 new potatoes or four large white potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 large onion, chopped fine
1 tomato
Half tsp turmeric
2 tbsp of gravy from sour mango pickle (not sweet)
A handful of coriander, chopped
Salt to taste
1 tbsp oil

Drop the tomato into hot water, peel and chop. Heat the oil and fry the onions until golden brown.

Add the turmeric powder and the chopped tomatoes and fry, using hot water until the tomatoes dissolve and turn into a paste with the onions.

Chuck in the potatoes, add half a cup of hot water, and boil gently until they are cooked.

When they are soft, mix in the mango pickle gravy and coriander leaves.

Finally add salt to taste and serve hot. I chose parathas to eat this with.

15 Responses to “Boredom and Bollywood cooking”

1. Aundrea Says:

May 31st, 2014 at 3:27 am

I will not stop trying sometimes, and I’ll see you there.
    Zynga just has two bumper stickers to select from.
    Consequently, once you saved Conflict Of Clans Crack, available
    and apply it!

2. Says:

May 31st, 2014 at 2:41 am

Blackberry did not have a especially good 2011,
    with all the outages and customer complaints. You can use a patched version of spirit, if you are on iTunes nine.two.
    Prior to continuing, make certain your telephone is turned off.

3. Lorena Says:

December 17th, 2013 at 11:33 am

I do agree with all the ideas you’ve presented in your post.
    They’re really

convincing and will certainly work. Still, the posts are too
    short for novices. Could you please extend them a little from next time?
    Thanks for the post.

4. Says:

April 16th, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Hi there! Do you know if they make any plugins to help

Search Engine Optimization? I’m trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not seeing very good

results. If you know of any please share. Thank you!

5. Says:

March 8th, 2013 at 9:21 am

Needed to create you one tiny word to say thanks over again about the splendid thoughts

you’ve shown here. It’s so

surprisingly open-handed of people like you to provide publicly
    exactly what a lot of folks would have marketed
    for an e book to help make some cash on their own, most importantly seeing that you might well have

tried it if you ever decided.

additionally served to be a good way to fully grasp some people have
    similar dream like mine to learn lots more with regard to this issue.

I’m certain there

are many more pleasurable opportunities in the future

for those who view your website.

6. everything cooking guide Says:

December 15th, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Hi there very nice website!! Guy .. Excellent .. Wonderful .. I will bookmark your web site and take the feeds additionally?I’m satisfied to find so many helpful information right here within the post, we want work out more techniques on this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .

7. manasa Says:

February 11th, 2011 at 10:47 am

hmmm…bollywood cookbook is wonderful!! Tey have yummy yummy food!!

8. Mangs Says:

March 4th, 2007 at 6:07 pm

i cant wait to find the sour pickle

February 23rd, 2007 at 3:37 pm

My husband is a fashion photographer Shak! I feed him in return for gorgeous photos of the food I cook. Thanks so much for appreciating…

10. sandeepa Says:

February 23rd, 2007 at 11:13 am

I just read the other “UK blogger” you mentioned and I liked her writing. But I think she was with “The Sunday Times” right, maybe that helped..with the book deal that is

11. sandeepa Says:

February 22nd, 2007 at 7:04 am

Bole to…ekdom chakkas..kya ?

12. neha Says:

February 22nd, 2007 at 3:33 am

hey, just bumped onto your blog… very interesting.. i’m a foodie, so totally appreciate it! Happy cooking!!

13. Shak Says:

February 22nd, 2007 at 2:51 am

Do you take these piccies yourself? They make the food look even more scrumptious then they sound!

14. Meena Says:

February 21st, 2007 at 6:31 pm

Hey Mallika! The potatoes look delish, and the book sounds real fun. I guess to a cookbook addict like me, ANY food related book is intriguing! Will just have to check it out. :)

15. asha Says:

February 21st, 2007 at 6:00 pm

Very creative to add pickle gravy to Alu!YUM!