Family Affair

January 24, 2007

pepper-chicken-small.jpgI found a lovely recipe for Pepper Chicken Curry on the blogosphere the other day – a lovely twist on a classic Indian chicken curry.

My hubby’s aunt and uncle were coming over for dinner so I decided to cook it for them. While the ingredients were really ordinary, I realised on my way home from work that I didn’t have the required fennel seeds (saunf).

All I had was panch phoron, a mix of spice seeds used liberally in Bengali cooking. But I came up with an ingenious though slightly devious plan.

As hubby’s uncle and aunt arrived, I sat them in the kitchen with me. Then I gave them both the pack of panch phoron and got them to separate the fennel seeds from the others. All this while we were chatting away and I was cutting the onions and tomato.

This recipe was so delicious and simple. Even my little helpers thought it was every bit their effort. I would highly recommend it. Thanks Sailu!

Serves 6:

1 kg chicken ( I used pre-packed thighs and drumsticks, skinned)

2 large onions

2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste

3-4 green chillies, slit lengthwise

1 large tomato

Half tsp turmeric powder

1 tbsp coriander powder

1 tsp ground fennel seeds

1 tsp ground pepper

1 tsp garam masala powder

Fresh coriander

2 tbsp sunflower oil

Salt to taste

Heat oil and fry the onions until translucent. Add the green chillies and ginger-garlic paste. When the mixture starts going brown, add the chicken and fry on a high heat for five minutes or until chite on all sides.

Add all the masala powders, apart from the garam masala. Fry for five minutes and then add the tomato, chopped roughly. Keep the pan on a medium heat and stir from time to time until the chicken is cooked.

There is no need to add water, unless the chicken starts getting stuck to the bottom of the pan. Just finish off by mixing in the garam masala and adding salt to taste. I decorated this with the fresh coriander leaves for added glamour, just before serving.

23 Responses to “Family Affair”

1. Sneha Says:

March 3rd, 2011 at 11:17 am

How can this be called pepper chicken with only 1 tea spoon of pepper powder!? Adding garam masala takes away the pepperiness of the whole thing!
    This isnt much different from a normal chicken curry…

2. Pointer Men's Basketball Says:

October 29th, 2010 at 11:57 pm

Maybe you should change the page title Pepper chicken curry Quick Indian Cooking to something more catching for your webpage you write. I liked the the writing however.

3. malini Says:

September 22nd, 2010 at 6:07 am

Yesterday nite I tried this recepie its very gud and tasty it tastes like chettinad style.. thank you mallika to give such a delicious recipie.

4. malini Says:

September 22nd, 2010 at 6:05 am

Yesterday nite intried this recepie its very gud and tasty it tastes like chettinad style.. thank you mallika to give such a delicious recipie.

August 15th, 2008 at 7:52 am

Judy – I’m so glad you’re finding the recipes useful. I always blitz fresh ginger and garlic in the food processor. The ready stuff is pathetic. When you blitz it, just add a tablespoon of water. It’ll come out just fine.

Good luck!

6. Belleplaine Says:

August 14th, 2008 at 5:27 pm

This looks fabulous. I’m going to try it this weekend. Maybe a silly question, but I don’t have garlic ginger paste, can I just use a combo of ginger and garlic tossed in the food processor? Or will it not be the right consistency?

I love your site, your delicious, easy recipes and I always click on your blog immediately when I see an update in Google Reader. In fact, I read about Google Reader on your blog and now I can’t live without it. Thanks!

7. Quick Indian Cooking » A Fool saves the day Says:

August 14th, 2008 at 8:16 am

[…] decided to serve Pepper Chicken Curry with the Nariyal Bhindi I made earlier. As I did my thing, my man announced that he was going to […]

8. Sameer Says:

December 3rd, 2007 at 9:49 pm

I tried your recipe today. Even thought this is my first experience preparing chicken curry, it has come out excellent!! I have no words to thank you for your clear explanation!! It was fantastic and very delicious!!!

9. rahul Says:

November 19th, 2007 at 2:48 am

very bad…..oh god i dnt knw hw bad it s…i just throw it away

10. free ipod music downloads Says:

October 7th, 2007 at 6:12 pm

Hi, there!..f6f89383a598bac53646c333015b1557

11. buy ultram online Says:

August 24th, 2007 at 10:23 pm

ultram pill…

eizokolj qzuo…

12. Ammu Says:

July 27th, 2007 at 2:06 am

Thanks Mallika….this is very delicious

13. arun Says:

June 28th, 2007 at 5:58 am

thank you so much i will tomorrow try for chi gravy

14. Pepper Chicken Curry « Maninas: Food Matters Says:

May 29th, 2007 at 3:39 am

[…] on their blogs. Sailu gives clear and detailed step-by-step instructions on how to do it, but Mallika clarifies a few points, for me at least, such as to which point to cook the […]

15. Maninas Says:

May 28th, 2007 at 1:29 pm

Just tried this recipe. It was _delicious_! Fantastic! Both bf and I loved it. This is a keepers!

16. Marc Says:

March 7th, 2007 at 7:18 pm

Hello Mallika,

I gave this recipe a try tonight and it turned out great! I used slightly less chicken than your recommendation, and I used boneless, skinless breasts. The flavors were really great.

The way the onions cooked down was amazing and very flavorful.

You really did a great job writing up the process. I followed it exactly and everything went brilliantly. Next time I’m going to cut up my chicken into smaller pieces.

17. Sanjana Says:

February 17th, 2007 at 10:17 am

hello Mallika

Wow thanks for such a delicious recipe of my favourite dish – chicken.
    Am gonna try this dish tomorrow. Will let you know how it turns out to be. Sure it is gonna be major hit.
    Try this chicken pepper fry

18. shilpa Says:

February 6th, 2007 at 6:05 pm

ignore last comment! found my answer :D

19. shilpa Says:

February 6th, 2007 at 6:04 pm

want to try this asap.. .but at what point did you put in the fennel seeds??

20. sandeepa Says:

January 26th, 2007 at 7:55 am

mmmmmm … looks delicious Mallika

21. sailaja Says:

January 25th, 2007 at 7:47 am

A devious plan indeed..:). I am glad your aunt and uncle enjoyed the dish, Mallika.

22. Padmaja Says:

January 25th, 2007 at 3:41 am

Woh!!! thats really nice!!!
    have to try u’r version!!!
    looks pretty tasty!!

January 24th, 2007 at 4:31 pm

I love Sailu’s recipes.Looks delicious Mallika!:)