The sun has set…

December 12, 2006

… on my wonderful trip back home to Kolkata, India. I did very little, but still managed to stay terribly busy throughout flitting between hair/beauty appointments, lunch/dinner invitations and my sister’s engagement. My photographer hubby also dragged me along to all sorts of bizarre photographic adventures, involving trips to weird places at the wee hours of the morning.

Needless to say, I have a new stash of recipes to try and blog about. I couldn’t bear to do anything domestic in India, apart from mix myself a vodka. But wherever I went I told people about QIC and the recipes flowed like the Hoogli itself. I can’t wait to get started in the kitchen. Just as soon as I overcome jet lag, which is making me sleep by 8:00pm these days.

It has been two years since I last visited Kolkata and a lot has changed. But some things will always be the same. Here’s what to expect on holiday in India:

• The head shake could mean yes, no, maybe. Never question it, there is no point
  • Fat-free and low-fat are figments of your imagination only not regular occurrences in Indian cuisine
  • You are just as likely to get Delhi belly eating street food in a roadside stall as you are dining like a maharaja in a five-star hotel

Until tomorrow’s recipe…

7 Responses to “The sun has set…”

1. Diane Says:

December 18th, 2006 at 5:42 am

I was just in India for a month and the surprise of the trip to me was Kolkata. I had not expected to like it much, and was there mainly to visit friends. I just loved the city – it’s urban vibrance, its culture, the people. I hope to go back again soon.

Beautiful photo!

2. Meena Says:

December 15th, 2006 at 10:10 am

Welcome back Mallika!! do hurry and entice us with all the lovely recipes you brought back with you from your hometown. I always love it how after a trip from home my kitchen gets busy with energy that manged to slip back with me! Happy Holidays!!

3. CookingChat Says:

December 13th, 2006 at 6:21 pm

Yes, great photo, I look forward to the recipes!

4. Trupti Says:

December 13th, 2006 at 2:18 pm

Welcome back…and I love that picture…Please post some more pics. and of course, recipes too.

5. sandeepa Says:

December 12th, 2006 at 8:19 pm

Good to see you back, waiting for the recipes you brought back from good old Kolkata (how the hell do I say Kol, Cal was so much better !!!)

6. shilpa Says:

December 12th, 2006 at 1:31 pm

your sister is engaged???!! now i feel like a relic :) but i have a request: please post a lip-smacking jhaal-muri recipe if possible.

December 12th, 2006 at 9:58 am

Welcome back! Beautiful photo,your hubby is good!

Can’t wait for the recipes.I was smiling when I read about Delhi belly, it’s so true!:D Well, glad you are back.