Diwali Special

October 18, 2006

cahca1tj.jpgDiwali or Deepavali, the Indian festival of lights and loud sounds, is on Saturday 21st October.

I have mixed memories of Diwali from my childhood in India. Mostly, I hid under the bed in the quietest room in the house with our dog Gina – lovingly named after the eponymous character from the sitcom Dynasty by my mother.

I crawled out in time for dinner and to collect the traditional cash donation from my dad after he’d done the Ganesh Lakshmi puja for health, wealth and prosperity.

The food was the real saving grace of the evening for my petrified self. The evening Diwali meal at our place was strictly vegetarian – a veritable feast of golden fried pooris, masala aloo and paneer with a wide selection of sweets to finish.

Sadly, I’ve never quite managed to create a similar Diwali feast in London. But I do make the masala aloo from time to time.

Here’s the recipe to serve 2-3:

6 medium potatoes, halved

1 tsp coriander powder

1 tsp cumin powder

Half tsp chilli powder

Half tsp turmeric powder

Quarter tsp asafoetida powder

1 tsp whole jeera

2 tbsp yoghurt

2 tbsp sunflower (or other flavourless) oil

Heat the oil on a high flame, and when hot add the asafoetida powder. Then add, in order, coriander, cummin, chilli and turmeric powders.

Let the spices bubble up in the pot for a minute and then add the potatoes. Give them a good stir, mixing the masalas in and then add the whole cummin.

Fry the potatoes for a minute or two until they start browning, and then add the yoghurt. Mix it into the potatoes and then lower the flame to medium, cover and cook until the potatoes are done.

Add salt to taste. These are great as a side dish or on their own as moreish nibbles.

Happy Diwali!

11 Responses to “Diwali Special”

1. Shaun Says:

June 10th, 2014 at 12:49 am

Nice respond in return of this query with firm arguments and
    describing all about that.

2. A truly epic Diwali, part 2 | The Spice Scribe Says:

October 29th, 2013 at 7:43 pm

[…] mathri, whilst, for Miss Masala, it’s all about the humble spud, showcased in dahi wali aloo and masala aloo. From Cooking and Me comes a tempting trio of Tamil treats  – thattai, and the wonderfully […]

3. Mike Conley Authentic Jersey Says:

April 10th, 2013 at 4:45 am

I intended to put you one bit of observation so as to say thanks a lot yet again for the pleasant

4. Oogsnoep / Eyecandy Says:

November 1st, 2006 at 12:03 pm

I used this recipe as inspiration for preparing potatoes tonight, as sidedish with chicken tandoori. Really delicious!

5. Jasmeen Says:

October 21st, 2006 at 8:42 am

Hi Mallika. this is brilliant….can hardly wait to try something out.

eating out is as painful as cooking for me..

so let’s hope this is a start.

October 20th, 2006 at 1:20 am

Hi Mangs

I never parboil potatoes before putting them into a dish coz if they cook in the masalas, they taste much better. If you stick the lid on the pan/pot and keep stirring from time to time, the potatoes cook fast and get the time they need to absorb all the lovely flavours.

If I do decide to parboil potatoes, I’ll make sure I specifically mention it.

Happy cooking…

7. Masala aloo « In His Footsteps Says:

October 19th, 2006 at 9:22 pm

[…] I was fortunate enough to stumble across Quick Indian Cooking and the dish Masala Aloo caught my attention. It looks delicious and yet seemed simple enough to prepare. […]

8. ilona Says:

October 19th, 2006 at 9:05 pm

this is a simple and interesting recipe. I think i’ll try it. Thanks for sharing :)

– a chinese who loves indian food

9. Mangs Says:

October 19th, 2006 at 3:57 pm

super stupid question but when you refer to potatoes theyre always half boiled aleady right?

10. hugh Says:

October 19th, 2006 at 9:20 am

I arrived in Mumbai about this time a few years ago. I didn’t know anything about Diwali, and was a bit surprised to find that the streets were full of people chucking fireworks around. It was slightly alarming, to tell you the truth, but fun.

Happy Diwali to you too!

11. paddukoti Says:

October 18th, 2006 at 11:03 am

hai Mallika
    thank u fr linking me!!! even i did the same!!!
    nice to hear that u liked my pooris recipe!!
    u’r alu curry looks amazing!!