Raita With Eggs

October 16, 2006

img_9943.JPGRaita or savoury yoghurt, with spices and salt, is a must at every North Indian meal. Not only is it good for the stomach, but also has a cooling effect on the tongue. While mint and cucumber are most well known, we make raita with aubergines, potatoes, okra and mixed vegetables.

When my friend came over, I couldn’t resist asking her to make her special anda raita – yoghurt with eggs. This recipe is a treasure. her husband – cheeky sod – even suggested she leave out an essential ingredient to keep the recipe a secret.

It’s an unlikely partnership, but one that sparks up any Indian meal.

This recipe serves 4-5:

5 hard boiled eggs, peeled and halved
750gms set natural yoghurt
Half tsp asafoetida
Half tsp turmeric
3 long dried red chillies
15 curry leaves
1 heaped tsp whole cummin
1.5 tsp mustard seeds
6 tbsp oil
Salt to taste

Mix salt in the yoghurt and pour into a shallow dish. Dunk the egg halves in, ensuring they are smothered with the yoghurt.

In a little pan, heat the oil. When hot, add the asafoetida and let it cook for a minute. Then add the cummin seeds, mustard seeds, turmeric powder and red chillies. As they heat up add the curry leaves and watch them sizzle.

When the curry leaves start changing colour from green to a dark brown, take the pan off the heat and pour the mixture over the eggs and yoghurt.

Enjoy with dhal and rice. Or as in my case, just on its own.

19 Responses to “Raita With Eggs”

1. Classic Cucumber Raita with Mint Says:

May 25th, 2015 at 3:14 am

[…] then again they can have radishes or carrots as in my recipe in the Spices and Seasons cookbook, or even eggs, yes, this one had been on my list to try, right alongside the DIY gift for the baby […]

2. The right Indian exit Says:

September 19th, 2012 at 8:34 pm

[…] were sitting squashed around a table for four talking food, epilators, love and life and devouring anda raita, aloo dum, lentils cooked with oranges, mustard prawn curry and basmati rice straight out of pots […]

3. Finding comfort at home Says:

September 17th, 2012 at 5:14 pm

[…] It was just as well that this video‘s theme was Comfort Eating. I cooked Taheri, a moreish vegetable pulao from North India, with my friend Boobie’s Anda or egg Raita. […]

4. Cold comfort « Quick Indian Cooking Says:

May 13th, 2010 at 4:32 pm

[…] Bread Raita, MD’s version of Bhindi Raita, and my personal favourites Cucumber Raita and Anda Raita. Click here to cancel reply. Leave a […]

5. Quick Indian Cooking » As cool as cucumber? Says:

December 4th, 2008 at 3:22 am

[…] are so many raitas – cucumber, kachumbar (finely chopped mixed salad), anda (my favourite egg raita), aloo (potatoes), aubergine and boondi (made with little deep fried gram […]

6. Nags Says:

November 11th, 2008 at 6:50 pm

This is definitely unique! Bookmarked to try this weekend :)

7. Jeanne B. Says:

October 27th, 2008 at 1:31 pm

I’ve just accidentally found your site and I am thrilled! I LOVE Indian food and have experimented with making it at home (with about a 50-50 success rate). Yoghurt and eggs doesn’t sound as unlikely to me as Eggs and Apples, which I’ve made as a curry before and it is just to die for because of the incongruency of the flavors.

Thank you for this site. You’re in my Bloglines now.

8. Meher Says:

October 22nd, 2008 at 2:18 am

Malika – Thanks!! I know it is mouth watering. Now only to get it even half way as nice as the original experience!

9. Maninas Says:

July 2nd, 2008 at 9:54 am

wow, this sounds fantastic!

10. Quick Indian Cooking » Staying cool with aubergine raita Says:

June 14th, 2008 at 2:06 am

[…] is one of them. A ice-cold, savoury dish, raita is spiced yogurt with vegetables and even eggs. You can have cucumber and mint raita, mixed vegetable raita, boondi raita and potato raita. […]

11. Shella Says:

September 20th, 2007 at 2:37 am

This is a lovely variation. I love eggs & am surely going to try this very soon.

12. JANE Says:

May 29th, 2007 at 3:34 am

13. sam Says:

November 10th, 2006 at 2:59 pm

i am off work sick and i just made a version of this for my lunch. it was quick, easy, and fragrant enough to give my cold-addled tastebuds a real treat.

I used a poached egg though, too impatient to wait for the boiled variety, and less oil because I am trying to lose some weight, but I think, I hope, I managed to capture the spirit of the dish. It certainly tasted very, very good to me.

thanks for posting this – it has been in the back of my mind for a while and i am happy I finally got around to testing it out.

October 19th, 2006 at 6:03 am

Yay, you love me! Please come back for more okay?

15. Mangs Says:

October 19th, 2006 at 5:03 am

pure. unadulterated. love.

16. Mangs Says:

October 19th, 2006 at 4:35 am

i LOVE your site.
    am just about to try your raita recipe. in about ten minutes i will either love or hate you!

have forwarded it to everyone i know as well!!

October 17th, 2006 at 5:58 am

My mother just bought me three packs of dried mustard powder and I was wondering what the heck to do with them. I even contemplated hiding them in her suitcase when she returned to India.

I’ll have to try putting some in raita next time. Thanks for the tip.

18. Rasa Malaysia Says:

October 16th, 2006 at 9:11 pm

Dear Malikka,

Thanks for the recipe. The picture looks good. I am a huge fan of Indian food (I am a Malaysian); grew up with at least one curry dish on the dining table each day.

So glad to find your website through NoodlePie. Keep them coming. :)

19. Trupti Says:

October 16th, 2006 at 12:41 pm

Nice site you have here….just browsed through a link..
    Have you ever tried to put dried,hot mustard powder in the Raita? I find that adding the mustard powder greatly enhances the flavor…just a thought.
    I will be a regular visitor from now on to this site!

Cheers from Newfoundland,