Recipe

A Dry Weekend

September 25, 2006

Ingredients

Method

cimg0781.JPG

Normally, I would cook Indian on Sunday evening for dinner, freezing the leftovers for a rainy day. But Sunday night was a write off.

Seven of us ladies met in Soho for a friend’s hen night. It seemed like a good idea to do shots with her before Mr Gay Latin America UK turned up to do his striptease. When, oh when, will I learn that misxing B52s, mojitos and Vodka Limes is never worth the ravages of the next day.

It really hurt on Sunday. I dragged myself for dim sum lunch even when every inch of me desperately needed a curry.

I just couldn’t bear the thought of the pungent smell of masalas in my delicate state. See, I love Indian food. Just in case you had doubts. And I find every possible excuse to cook Indian. Dinner parties are a great excuse.

But the truth is that cooking Indian is a smelly affair. Your kitchen and even furniture and carpets will smell for days after your jhalfrezi. You also need to wash the smells off your hair and skin. So if like me you have frizzy wavy hair that needs to tamed, this is a long drawn out process.

Here is my five-step plan for beating the masalas at their own game:

1. Close the kitchen door and turn the exhaust up on high
  2. Open any windows. If you live in an open plan space, this is even more important
  3. Wear a shower cap when cooking. You will look like an idiot. But you’ll save time and energy in the long-term
  4. When you finish cooking, cover the pots and clean the kitchen straightaway. Light fragrant candles in the living area and corridor
  5. Lastly, and most importantly, never ever use ready mixed masalas. They have really strong aromas that take weeks to get rid off.

Not all recipes are smelly. I’ll highlight the “low-smell” ones so you know.

Comments

11 Responses to “A Dry Weekend”

1. hugh Says:

September 25th, 2006 at 1:39 am

Mallika, hope you’ve got over you hang-over. I’ll try some of your quick and easy recipes, but I don’t see myself cooking in a shower-cap somehow.

2. Quick Indian Cooking » Life, death, vegetable dal Says:

March 30th, 2008 at 1:16 pm

[…] of the evening I thought long and hard about her problem. Indian food does have strong flavours and fragrances. I racked my brains for a winter, single gal (or bloke) friendly recipe that would fit the […]

3. Ahmed Says:

March 6th, 2010 at 6:09 am

Nice tips for getting rid of curry smell. It is specially a problem during winter. In France butchers leave half a bucket full of white vinegar overnight to get rid of smell. White vinegar works.

4. A note worth making « Quick Indian Cooking Says:

September 15th, 2010 at 9:12 pm

[…] it up again for a mid-week dinner ticking all above boxes. Except this time I dived in cooking sans shower cap and eating with fingers, forgetting the big client meeting the next day. I swear his nose twitched […]

5. TAPAS DASGUPTA Says:

September 16th, 2010 at 10:10 am

Dear Mallika
    In ur “palak Murg” U suggested 4 cloves of garlic. But garlic cloves come in various sizes starting from miniscule to real fat juicy ones more like rajbhogs of Kolkata and are generally taken by people trying to reduce their cholesterol levels . What do you suggest we use.
    God bless u ur hubby and the 2 brats (already made and in the making)

September 16th, 2010 at 10:30 am

Hi Tapas, many thanks, especially from my husband who will need all the blessings he can get. 4 tiny cloves of garlic will simply not do it for 8 pieces of chicken so I would go for the fatter variety. As for those eating garlic to reduce cholesterol levels, they might as well not bother… research has in the last few years proved that garlic doesn’t actually reduce it. healthy diet and exercise are the only way forward in this dept!! All best.

7. TAPAS DASGUPTA Says:

September 16th, 2010 at 5:52 pm

The last bit about garlic being no substitute for exercise is new to me.Thanks once again and Good Luck

8. Vid Says:

October 21st, 2010 at 4:33 pm

I usually keep a little bit of baking powder on a plate in the kitchen, when I cook big dinners with spices and meat. This works excellently for me and the smell is gone within a few hours or overnight.

9. A note worth making | How To Says:

January 17th, 2011 at 6:57 am

10. Perfumy Says:

April 30th, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Hmm it looks like your blog ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog. I too am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to everything. Do you have any tips for novice blog writers? I’d definitely appreciate it.

11. Tonighysthenight.Com Says:

January 20th, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Thank you for some other amazing content. The place else may anyone obtain that sort of details ordinary excellent method associated with producing? I get a speech in a month’s time, using this program . at the hunt for similarly info.